Exporting Picture Resolution

313Architect

Hi, this is James Simmons. I would like your opinion on something @solver@DavidJPotter. So recently I have been exporting pictures for a project I have finished and last night I was playing around with the resolution, width and height of exporting a image. I want to get the best resolution out of my images without making them too big in width and height. I normally set the width to 1920 and resolution to 900.0 but after playing around I noticed that when I set my width to 3,840 and 9,000 in resolution, I got the best resolution picture out of all of them I have tried. I got 3,840 after multiplying 1,920 times 2 and I did create some images that had a bigger width but when I upgraded my resolution, It didn't seem like I was getting a better resolution picture. When you export images what width and resolution do you set it to get the best resolution for your images?

Thank you

I mainly create images for use in PDF presentations and website presentations/sharing for the purpose of structural/Architectural design, so the "resolution" is secondary to the simple graphic content. Imagery is for the communicating and discussion of Architectural designs and not primarily as "works of Art" per se. Some clients require higher resolution output, usually large, expensive projects over and above that of custom homes.

Most of the high resolution work I have done was to promote to others, my skill in doing so as opposed to supporting a particular project. On the other hand, I also primarily use Chief Architect Premier (not HD Pro) which has more choices relative to purely rendering a 3D view. Chief by default has always had the ability to create Photo-Realistic images at ANY size or resolution up to and including the size of a roadside billboard. Some users specialize in Photo Realistic imagery and often use other applications to give them greater and greater control over the final product (Photo Shop, Lumion, Twin Motion, and others). 

In closing, the purpose of the image determines its quality and size and that is for YOU to decide for yourself and your purposes.

DJP