Home Designer Suite 2021 - Build Gable Roof Over Porch

Rpan127

Hi everyone. I just bought this software today. I am a drafter/designer by trade with a little bit of Revit experience and a lot of AutoCAD Map 3D/Civil 3D experience.

So far I'm enjoying this software and I can see myself using it for all kinds of DIY projects. However I am having some trouble with my roof line.

My house is somewhat L shaped (see the attached .plan file, not really to scale) and in real life the roof overhangs the front porch making an overall gabled rectangle, however I can't figure out how to get HD to do the same.

Here's what I'm getting:

image.thumb.png.4456563842921052339ff0c791632a2c.png

Here's what I want, but without the exterior walls completing the rectangle:

image.thumb.png.332f063a86c22c7334394d769934582c.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GableOnPorch.plan

So it looks like I need to have manual roof plane controls to do this (not available in my version). Is there any way to achieve what i want using the Suite 2021 version that I have? I've watched the videos and perused the knowledge bank but so far I've come up blank. They seem to reference the roof controls that I don't have.

6 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

No this is actually simple in Suite

DJP

David,

I can't thank you enough for making this video. I never would have thought of drawing the deck railing like that and telling it to be a gable. And thanks for the extra info too, especially about the material. Once I finish making my porch I'll post up some screenshots.

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2020 at 7:03 AM, DavidJPotter said:

No this is actually simple in Suite

DJP

David, thanks to your help I was able to get started on the porch. I've attached the updated plan file if you're interested. 

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to model (please excuse the sorry state of the house, you can see why I want to plan upgrades). 

I'm not at the point yet where I want to ask for help on the split porch and concrete steps, if I do need help I'll start a new thread. 

Existing.plan

IMG_20200915_084309.jpg

Divide the Porch area into three spaces (one for each porch and the area that is lower than the porches. Program each area to have a "ceiling over this room and roof over this room" on the "Structure Tab", then build roofs. You then use the wall break tool to remove the railing where it is not needed,

DJP

10 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Divide the Porch area into three spaces (one for each porch and the area that is lower than the porches. Program each area to have a "ceiling over this room and roof over this room" on the "Structure Tab", then build roofs. You then use the wall break tool to remove the railing where it is not needed,

DJP

Thanks David. Again your help was invaluable, and your Youtube channel is great!

I managed to get a close resemblance to the real house after playing around for a little while (and watching your videos) tonight. As you can see I've got the porch in there and the railing layout is similar but not perfect. The front door railings are coming off the steps in real life as you can see in the picture, but in my model they go all the way to the ground. I feel like my concrete steps are a bit of a hack job too... but they look close! I don't think I'll ever get the bay window right, as the one on my house looks...special. (I watched your video on making one manually. I might try that tomorrow).

Next step will be to model the front deck area on the opposite side. As always I've included my .plan if anyone is curious.

image.thumb.png.9aba9e25d676d157f883cbe215d8dc37.png

Existing9152020.plan

14 hours ago, Rpan127 said:

Next step will be to model the front deck area on the opposite side.

Just separate the remaining space with an invisible railing wall, set the higher portion to about 3" below the house (-3" the house should be a zero inches), draw your stairs and then you are done

DJP

The software skips building a foundation under rooms named "Porch" so you just go to the foundation level (<0>), turn on the reference display (so you can see the porch walls above) and then draw or extend the foundation walls underneath the porch which should fill in under the porch above grade.

DJP