Exterior Wall Height for Roof?

davidstvz

Wall heights seem determined by the room structure height, but some exterior walls in my house are higher to accommodate the roof.  In particular, I have a bedroom with 10' ceilings (most of the house is 10') but a section outside this bedroom has a 12' wall for the roof (the eaves are at 11.5').  The front stoop has 14' walls (13.5' eaves) but the ceiling is only at 12.5'.

What's the proper way to handle this?  So far I just increased the room structure to match the outside wall I needed, and then made the ceiling thicker.  Seems like there should be a better way.

1 hour ago, davidstvz said:

So far I just increased the room structure to match the outside wall I needed, and then made the ceiling thicker.

Isn't that how it would be built?

You can always add a floor creating a room above.

When I say "made the ceiling thicker", I meant I made the ceiling finish thicker.  So, no it wouldn't be built with 2 foot thick drywall ;-)

I think I see appropriate settings however.  It looks like I would just edit the ceiling structure, check "frame lowered ceiling" and set the air gap + framing equal to 2 feet.  The only thing wrong with this is that it makes interior walls around the room 2' higher, whereas only the exterior walls actually need to be higher.  So if I wanted to get the interior of the attic looking right, I might have to make a floor above to get it perfect... but that doesn't sound too important right now.