General framing trouble

rfcomm2k

I have need to create a window that is not available in any catalogs. It is a simple fixed window, consisting of 2" x 1.5" rabbeted pieces of lumber with a pane of glass inserted and glazed in place.

I have not figured out how to create a single piece of lumber with a rabbet in it, so I added a 1" x .5" piece to form the 1/2" rabbet. Then I created a framing member 12" x 32" x 3/16" thick and assigned green glass as material. I then copied and pasted 4 more of the entire assembly. Then used precise move to place the first unit into the final position. This all worked fine for the first unit. But I need 60 of these. 

I selected another one of the pasted units, which I had looked at in camera view and confirmed it was intact. After selecting it I moved it into position, then opened it and set the top height to where it belonged.

Upon going back to camera view, I noted that some of the components (the top 2" piece and the top 1" piece) were missing. No idea where they went. So I recreated two new pieces and placed them where they belonged, verifying the height. Once again, in camera view they were gone.

Is there any way, once I have created an entire unit, to select all the components and lock them all into a single homogeneous unit, instead of still consisting of 9 individual components?

1 hour ago, rfcomm2k said:

Is there any way, once I have created an entire unit, to select all the components and lock them all into a single homogeneous unit, instead of still consisting of 9 individual components?

Architectural Block?

Select all of the components of your window, glass, rabbeted lumber, trim, etc. and use the isometic cube object in the selection toolbar to make them an architectural block.

Then copy/paste as required into your plan.

All of the components started out as General Framing members. Then I changed one of the materials to be green glass (does not look like it did in the material library).

After I selected the entire object I opened the view/draw/order/edit tools menu and made sure everything is on the general framing layer.

Here are two PIX. First one is view from inside, other is view from outside:

image.thumb.png.e82c0e9f1bcb74e89abfad3db361f1c1.png

image.thumb.png.148df6fdfa44152b07448321de3b4567.png