Adjusting Light Position

lithandriel

I am trying to add some pendant lighting above and Island in Home Designer Architectural 2020, and I was referencing this video (~timestamp 6:54):

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1914/ray-trace-rendering-lighting-types.html?playlist=103

This is a different version of the software, and the options that she uses to adjust the red cross-hairs (light position) do not appear to be available in Home Designer Architectural 2020. So when I adjust the height of the pendant from the ceiling so that the pendant hangs 72" up from the floor, the light-source position remains too high (see screenshot). 

Is there a way to fix this so that the render is more accurate in Home Designer Architectural 2020? Or is this just not doable? 

RedCrossHairsWrongPosition.png

On 5/6/2019 at 3:26 PM, lithandriel said:

I am trying to add some pendant lighting above and Island in Home Designer Architectural 2020, and I was referencing this video (~timestamp 6:54):

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1914/ray-trace-rendering-lighting-types.html?playlist=103

This is a different version of the software, and the options that she uses to adjust the red cross-hairs (light position) do not appear to be available in Home Designer Architectural 2020. So when I adjust the height of the pendant from the ceiling so that the pendant hangs 72" up from the floor, the light-source position remains too high (see screenshot). 

Is there a way to fix this so that the render is more accurate in Home Designer Architectural 2020? Or is this just not doable? 

RedCrossHairsWrongPosition.png

Hello, 

In home designer pro 2020 reference manual page 506 shows the option to offset the light position. It looks like that option is only available in home designer pro and chief architect professional line of software.

You might want to talk to chief sales and see if any upgrade sales will happen soon. Sometimes they have a customer loyalty sale.

Best,

• Like 1

I took a look in Architectural, Pro and Chief Premier and found the same lack of functionality across all platforms. I submitted a "Bug Report" to Chief Architect/Home Designer Tech Support. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

DJP

• Like 1

Chief Architect Tech Support responded: "I understand now. I thought the question was how to move the light source. 

However, I will most definitely submit the request to have an option to lock the light source to a relative location within the bounding box of the object (ideally to correlate to the position of the bulb.)"
David Potter
Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 03:45 PM PDT
"My point is and still is that the point source should be lock-stepped with the light fixture bulb area. One should not have to apply a "workaround" as the only solution. I realize that I am not a programmer or Software Architect (just a user) . I observed NO DIFFERENCE in function and control between Architectural 2020, Home Designer Pro 2020, Home Designer Pro 2019 and Chief Premier X11.

Consider that I am asking for a "Feature Request" if you like.

Respectfully,

David J. Potter"

copy-pasted from a Feature Request submitted to Chief Tech Support recently

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your responses! Sorry at the delay replying - I never received a notification that anyone had replied to me! I will have to check my notification settings.

I hope they implement your feature request, David.