Applying Higher Shed Roof Over Existing Gable

debgreen

Hello -- 

I am trying to create a shed roof section that is raised over an existing gable roof on one side.  The existing gable's pitch is 4:12.  I have attached a photo of a similar roof I am trying to create, plus a screenshot of what I have managed to achieve so far, and a screenshot of the actual plan.  Note the shed roof on my design covers an actual house extension, not an open porch.  The entire shed roof needs to raise high enough that the lowest end sits at 8 feet.  I'm stumped as to how to raise this shed section off the gable.  I followed all the tutorials, adjusted the roof specs in the wall dialogs and even raised the height of the wall sections that the shed sits on, but it won't raise.  I am not an architect and this is beyond me.   Or is this something that I can't do with my program?  I use Home Designer Suite 2018 for Mac - Build 19.3.0.49OSX.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I am supposed to send this to the engineer on Friday.  They agreed to use my design as their base for drawings so I can save some money and I've been struggling with this for four weeks now..

Thanks,

Deborah G.

Roof Photo.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 2.14.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 2.17.01 PM.png

Thanks Eric.  OK, I changed the ceiling height 2 feet higher but still having problems.  Here's what I've done so far:

The side walls are set as "full gable walls".

If I set the back wall to "high shed/full gable wall" (I'm assuming that's correct since it's the highest point of the shed), and the front wall to "full gable wall", I get image 1.

If I set the back wall as "high shed/full gable wall"  and the front wall as "high shed/full gable wall", I get image 2.

If I set the back wall as "full gable wall" and the front wall as "high shed/full gable wall", I get image 3.

If I set all walls as "full gable wall", I get image 4.

If I set the back wall as "high shed/full gable wall" and the front wall to "extend slope downward" (which I had before and managed to get a shed roof without the ceiling raised), I get this error message:

/Users/autobuild/p4sync/dev/Releases/19/chief/source/appmgr.cpp(2171): Warning #272009054

"A wall designated "extend slope downward" must have a parallel wall up the roof slope that defines the roof pitch and height."

03/05/2019 05:46:45 PM

Build: 19.3.0.49OSX

Not sure how much longer I can hit and miss this.  Could somebody please just tell me what settings I need as changing the ceiling height alone isn't working and it doesn't say in the manuals.  Image 3 is what it tells me to do in the help screens.  I wish I had Jo Ann's smarts -- she sent me an image of exactly what I need, suggesting I just needed to change the ceiling height but it's not working for me...

Thank you,

Deborah G.

Home Designer Suite 2018 for Mac - Build 19.3.0.49OSX.

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 5.34.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 5.27.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 5.42.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 5.44.35 PM.png

You just have roof settings wrong in the walls from trying too many things.

Go to Edit>Reset To Defaults

Select All Floors and Roof Settings In Walls

Click OK

Set the walls in red to Full Gable.

ht1.thumb.jpg.6ca2b16f20ba0e1abc84faeaa5f7cc8b.jpg

That worked, thanks!  And I didn't have to change the ceiling height.  I see what I was doing wrong, I was changing ALL the walls of the room -- exterior AND interior -- to gables and high shed, thinking the whole area had to be identified.  Maybe the shed roof help screen could be modified to specify that only the exterior walls need to be changed to gables?  The help screen also says to mark the lower horizontal wall to high shed, which we didn't need to do here.

Thanks again.

Deb