Add new Wall Type to global set

ArminBuilder

I am relatively new to HD Pro, but am rapidly gaining confidence. I plan to design a number of buildings that will use the same features and technologies, and will have multiple plans for each of them from which I can make final decisions.

One pain point is managing wall types. I know I can copy walls (and their accompanying metadata) between drawings. I know I can copy a plan file and delete the artifacts in it. Both of these are time consuming, and frankly a bit of a hack.  Is there any way to add wall types to the global default set?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

When you start a new plan, you choose from a set of templates. Those templates contain all your defaults, so you need to create a new template with your defaults, then when it's opened, things like custom walls are already there.

You can add a new template to the list, or modify an existing one. The base template is profile.plan.

Search the forum for template as I think this has been detailed in the past.

Briefly, you would draw a default wall, rename it, then modify it as required. Then set it as your default. Then you can delete the wall.

Save the plan as a template and the new wall type will be available.

Note that none of the above is supported or documented, so you are on your own and need to be comfortable with working with files in the file system, saving, renaming, editing etc.

You can also just draw a series of walls in the plan of the type you want to use. Opening that plan the wall types will be available. The walls may be short and drawn off to the side and may be deleted once they are in use.

And no, there is no way to add new wall types directly to the default list. A new type needs to appear in the plan to show on the list.