Sign in to follow this  
ncochran

Multiple Joist Directions

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I didn't find anything helpful. I would like to change joist directions in several locations. I have tried using the bearing line and joist direction but I can't get them to do what I want. I assume I'm not using the bearing lines properly. For example, on a wrap around porch I want the ceiling joists to change direction at the corner. Can anyone give me some tips?

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.56.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.57.30 AM.png

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding this info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on, then see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

I had one there. I tried all sorts of bearing line arrangements. Does each area need to be enclosed in bearing lines? Say you had 3 or more joist direction changes within the structure. I don't understand how program uses the bearing lines to break up the structure as far as the joist directions are concerned.

I am able to get the porch joist direction as you did. This section over the garage is giving me problems.187861313_ScreenShotgarage.thumb.png.977a7cdaffee2dccb46ff8f22aa042d1.png

As I try to figure out how to set up the bearing lines to fix this it messes with the porch joists too.