Sign in to follow this  
CG14115

Roof and dormers on second story of House

Hi! I'm using the Home Designer software and am clearly a novice. I'm going to be doing a remodel on my house and purchased the software for that purpose only. So I would love the following help:

1. Hire an Chief Architect expert to help me make sure I've done everything correctly before we bid the project to contractors.

2. Roof line. I can't seem to find a tutorial to help me create a pitched roof on the second story of the house with dormers. I think I might also just be scared I'm going to screw this up. Clearly, I'm not an architect and would love to just have a consultation on this piece (see 1:)).

3. Is there a way to show existing part of the house vs. new part of the house?

Thanks in advance!

Carina

forfivver2018.jpg

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding this info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on, then see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Most (all) contractors will use your plans only to get an idea of what you want, and will create their own working drawings for the project. Especially one as involved as adding a 2nd floor, new basement etc. You might consider using an Architect or talented designer too. I look at many plans here and on other forums and rarely see good DIY design. Your plan may be different, but this seems like a large, expensive project that would probably benefit from using a professional.

Your roof question depends on your software. The Knowledge Base linked above is full of good info. 

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00358/automatically-building-a-one-and-a-half-story-roof.html

Existing vs new depends on your software. You can define new wall types for new and existing walls in Architectural and Pro.

Once the plans are cleared up you should also plan to share your plans with a licensed Structural Engineer who can, from your plans, design the exact specifications of the foundation and any other advice as to structural concerns. I can help you with the first part but a structural engineer should also be planned for by you.

DJP

Thanks for your responses! Yes, I've been looking for a Structural Engineer to work on the plans but since many people in my neighborhood have added on, we had an idea of what we were getting into. We already have bids for all the piering. I have a contractor looking at the plans this weekend but it would be nice to at least give him the correct idea on the front of the house for the roof. I have consulted with a couple of architects since I'm a designer to make sure it was in good shape. So I'm mostly at this point dealing with not really understanding roofs. 

I'll check out the links in this thread.

Carina