Sign in to follow this  
ddwilderdesign

Window sizes and labels

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding this info to your signature (see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

7 minutes ago, ddwilderdesign said:

I’m drawing a house plan and going with 30x48 windows.  Why does home designer label these as 26x40 in my plan view?

A bit of Google searching will turn up more info.

In short, it's the standard (and somewhat confusing) standard for displaying window and door sizing.

26x40 = 2 feet 6 inches x 4 feet 0 inches.

duh, lol.  I knew that and still didn't figure it out.  kept reading it as 26 inches. . . . oh the learning curve is steep.

thank you!

I have a similar question so I figured I'd post it here. Why do my window and door sizes always get labeled with an incorrect size, even when I change sizes.  I have to manually change the label on each one (unless I copy a window from one place to another, in which case the label goes with it.)  See attached example.  The window that I have in the wall is a 3654, the defaults are 3660, and the label that automatically generates is 3046.  In order to label it correctly I have to go in and manually change the label.

junk.jpg