Unable to set default exterior siding type.

Dean_W_Smith_Jr

Thanks for the video, I was already changing the materials wall by wall which takes forever and misses attic walls. They removed the ability to change exterior wall type as it was in previous versions. Sad. I've been using this software since the better homes and gardens version and the version before that 3d home design I think. The material painter option is nice as well, but still not the same especially when you want to create a new wall type. I didn't see the added benefits of upgrading to the Architectural version, minor differences for $100 more dollars. Thanks again, guess I'll dredge through. ugh

There is a sneaky way, to set up a default wall with the siding of your choice.
Draw an exterior wall, open it, and change the siding material via the material tab.
Change the thickness of the wall, and close the dbx.  Reopen the wall, and look in the drop-down wall type selection.  You should see a new additional wall name in there (6_2 or 6_7 or something like that).  At this time, if you want to change the wall back to the original thickness, you can do so.  When you re-open the wall again, there will be another new wall listed in the drop-down (with the original thickness).
You can then open the default settings and choose the wall (that has the siding that you selected), and set it as the default exterior wall.  The new wall in the drop-down wall types will only exist in this particular plan.
If you have already drawn your walls in the plan and altered the siding on each wall, the default wall setting will most likely not prevail.

By the way, Architectural offers many many more benefits compared to Suite.  If you have used the software repeatedly (as you say) then you should check out the upgrade rebate.

Download the free trial and see for yourself.

• Like 1