Is there a way to blend colours across polylines?

Keith_K

Because of the open plan nature that I have been asked to do to my original office plan I have got to place some 360 desks within the building.  As a way of defining the various departments which fall under a particular executive manager I want to colour areas on the floor plan which link to said executive.  The only way I could think of doing this was by using polyline rectangles.  Good in theory but there are places where I have had to use more than one rectangle for some departments and there is therefore a polyline that needs to be got rid of.  Hence my question.

You will see what I mean on the attachments.  I want to "erase" the lines are arrowed.

Maybe someone also knows of a better way of achieving the effect I want.

post-52-0-41270300-1412281971_thumb.jpg

As Kbird said, use the break-line tool.  Delete the smaller rectangles, then select the remaining polyline and add breaks.  Edit the polyline area to the custom shape that you want, just as if you were using a terrain tool to edit a driveway or sidewalk shape.

I tried the line break tool several times. It doesn't work for me. I click on the line to break it but no break line mark appears nor does anything happen if I click on the polyline on either side of where I tried to place the break.

And to make matters worse I've now got two light shafts to get around.  :(

By chance are you using the Break Wall Tool instead of the Break Line Tool ? the icon on the edit bar looks like a lightening bolt thru a line and only shows when a line is selected unlike the break wall tool which is always on the Toolbar.

post-25-0-54543700-1412470962_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Are you sure these are "Rectangular Polylines" and not "Boxes" ?

You can change a "Rectangular Polyline" into any shape you want using the "Break-line" and "Change Arc/Line" tools.

"Boxes" don't have that capability.

Definitely rectangular polylines.

Mick, you clever lad.  I was using the break wall tool because it is the only "break" thing I could find and Jo-Anne explains why :rolleyes:

But since I posted this I've deleted all the polylines because I've added a second light shaft to my plan and have to re-arrange all the desks again.  I should stop getting ideas last thing at night before falling asleep but at least if I create odd shapes again I now have the answer.

Thank you all.

• Upvote 1