Offsetting Walls

hue34402

I have only used CAD before and have recently tried the architectural version.  I am working on a basement design and need to create different walls.  In CAD I know you can offset a wall to a certain dimension very easily.  However, I do not see this option with this program.  What do I use to "offset" walls and know exactly where I am placing them?

Unlike 2D CAD applications, 3D object-orientated programs like Home Designer and Chief Architect have constraints imposed by its 3D nature. Home Designer titles other than Pro have built-in limitations in this regard (customizing wall types, their 3D layering etc). A 3D object like a wall or symbol is defined along 3 axises by default whereas AutoCAD and other such programs are just 2D lines in a 2D plane.

DJP

• Downvote 1

I would recommend using the Reference Floor Display to see an outline of the floor above/below the one you are working on. Then you can use the dimension tools to set the exact offset that you want. Example attached.

These help resources specifically talk about using the reference floor display:

This is a bit easier to do in Chief Architect Premier because you can dimension to the reference floor display without needing to draw reference lines.

cantilever.zip