Help understanding window layout

jeffaxelrod

Our architect drew a grid of windows in the elevation view and I'm trying to lay it out using Home Designer.  First, what's the term for a grid of windows like this? (As opposed to a single window with lites) EDIT: Found answer, an array of conjoined windows to form a larger unit is known as a "mulled."

post-514-0-79240700-1408288074_thumb.png

We have 8" exterior walls in our home, and it looks like Home Designer is forcing the windows to be too thick/deep as shown in the below rendering.  It looks pretty ugly to me with all of that material between the glass.  

I'm not familiar with window construction/architecture at all, so I'm wondering: is it possible for windows to be thinner than the depth of the walls surrounding them?  It kind of works that way in our home's existing bay window.  If it is possible to construct the windows this way, is there a way to implement them as such in Home Designer?  I see no setting for "window depth."

post-514-0-07441800-1408288205_thumb.png

Here's a photo from Marvin Windows' website showing a grid of windows that does not look anywhere near as deep/thick as the Home Designer renderings.  

post-514-0-30065500-1408289828_thumb.jpg

What software title and version do you have please? (it makes a difference since different titles have different tool choices and functionality).

Much can be implemented just using the basic "Window Specification Dialog" and its settings, input boxes and tabs. A careful study of that dialog box with the help of the Reference Manual and Help files will help you a lot after you begin to understand what those settings allow you to do (there is much to learn there!).

Tell me what software you have and I can then offer specific advice.

DJP

There are 5 different HD Titles and also MAC Versions now which is why we recommend filling in your Profile Signature ,then you don't need to post what software you have or what OS you are using each time.

Not Sure if Suite has it but in the Window DBX there may be a Frame Tab which is where you can adjust the depth and look of the frame. Fit Frame to Wall gives you a different look than setting the depth of the frame yourself. This setting maybe auto generated in Suite though ?

Usually the Foundation wall is 8" Concrete , not the framed wall above ,eg level one walls are typically 2x6 today but could be 8" ,with 1/2 drywall ,1/2 ply, rainscreen ,etc plus the exterior cladding , something to check on the  Arch. Drawings though as a typical wall is usually around 7 1/4" with no rain-screening or exterior foam.

M.  

Mick, there's no frame tab on the window specification.  The only tab that has a depth setting is "sash" and I'd already played with that.  

Regarding wall depth, I'm just going by our original architectural drawings, which show an 8" exterior wall depth on the ground floor.  I believe it probably includes all finishes: brick and interior plaster.  The drawings don't show the breakdown of each layer (brick, plaster/drywall, etc.) as in Home Designer.  Our house is circa 1950 if that matters.  

I opened my copy of Suite 2015 and the Window Specification Dialog is limited in terms of customized choices (I also checked the same tool in Architectural 2015 and in terms of window customization they are sadly and equally limited).

In order to more easily emulate the Marvin Windows you intend you will need to have the additional functionality of Home Designer Pro or just do without those adjustments (Suite and Architectural are less expensive than Pro for palpable reasons).

DJP

it is unusual for a house of that age to have 8" thick framed walls ( usually 2x4) , I thought perhaps you had looked at the foundation thickness and assumed the same thickness all the way up.....but a simple measurement with a tape will confirm either way.

Is the house brick veneer ?  then I could see 8" with a 3" brick over the 2x4 " wall plus the air gap in between...

M.

Hi, I have a question on this too.. 

We are trying to get prices for our windows. I made a home design and then went with the catalog for Anderson and Marvin. Our window retailer wanted us to come back with them with exact standard sizes and call numbers.. I am picking up that everyone is highly confused by my numbers. I am trying to find out what HD ARC 2015 is giving me on the screen.. What exactly am I seeing fit in. 

Marvin had a .Calibz file that I downloaded. I uploaded those windows too. They had product numbers that includes the half glass in a double hung window - so that was tricky.. and when I put it in to replace the window I was putting in before, I was shocked! All of this is so tricky! Edit: Is Marvin more helpful to this understanding as it has rough in dim on their web site? 

Coming here to clarify.. Finding out exactly what I am seeing in the wall on the floor plan and in the wall of the elevation view.. 

Please help! 

PS: I went into the framing view and clicked the mouse from the side to side and top to bottom. my window that was in was 24x46, When I did this it was 2'4" and 4'4".. when I tried it again - it was more like 10x5 feet so that wasn't helpful. 

I think you are tending to place too much significance or importance than this matter actually should have. If you are having the home's walls stick built (framing put together by carpenters on your building site as opposed to factory pre-manufactured walls) on site then the carpenters will frame the windows and doors according to your plans and the manufacturer's rough-opening specifications. 

If your window salesperson was really intending to help you they can take your generalized "virtual" sizes and correlate them to their own specific sizes and get your quote done efficiently.

It sounds like to me that the person helping you with the window quote does not know his or her business, you should find a firm that is a little more service orientated is my advice.

You can turn on the "Window Labels" layer in plan view and any competent window sales person should be able to give you a lucid quote from just that, per floor. No need to reinvent the wheel for some dull, lazy salespersons.

DJP

Thank you. I sometimes agree.. Our home is a sweet farmhouse and cottage feeling, each room has a window that really fits the scale of the room and mood. I hoped maybe they just didn't want to muddle that up.. I hope! I like having a real understand anyway of the dimensions that the plan is calling out. 

I am guessing now with 3D blocks to try and get an understanding.