How can I define a staggered stud interior wall?

dbcurtis

I'm trying to define a staggered-stud interior sound barrier wall.  Search isn't turning up anything.

What I am looking for is a 2x6 base plate, with 2x4 studs 12" O.C., staggered/interleaved so that each side of the wall ends up with 24" O.C. studs on which to hang drywall.

For floor-planning purposes, I've just be using 6" interior wall. Now I'd like to use the correct wall specification so that the B.O.M. comes out close to correct.  I tried defining an interior wall with these layers:

-drywall

-2x4 stud 24 O.C.

-air gap of negative width

-2x4 stud 24 O.C.

-drywall

But.... HDP doesn't like a negative thickness air gap.

I suppose I could get the thickness correct by specifying 2x4 studs 12" OC, plus an air gap.  The BOM would be close to correct, although the base and top plates would be wrong in the BOM.  But... I can't figure out how to get 2x4 12" OC either.

I thought about this a bit more and wanted to suggest an alternate approach.

Define a new with 2 main layers of 2-3/4" studs giving a 5-1/2" width for the framing part of the wall.

These will be staggered by default, I believe.

This will give you an accurate materials count -- you will know the studs should really be 3-1/2" in the materials list, and will give you a visual that is is representative if you display framing.

If it will only be one wall, then you could just edit the framing. Show the framing layer in your plan view and edit a 2x6 stud to be a 2x4 on one side of the wall then copy and paste in place and move it to opposite side and offset by 8" to centre(if you are using 16" o.c.). You can delete the rest of the 2x6 studs then.  Next select one of the 2x4's and multiple copy for both(here you could change to 12" o.c if you wish. Not necessary for soundproof wall). If you rebuild framing or turn auto on you will lose your edits so needs to be done at end. It will give you exact material list as well. Keep in mind I did this in X8 not sure if you have all the tools.

post-2379-0-99596700-1461530910_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Took longer to type how to do it than to actually do it. about two minutes work and accurate for materials. If you needed to do more than one wall such as for a passive house etc. would be longer edit. As you pointed out you can show staggered wall but there has to be two framing layers and it has to be checked in dbx, but not accurate for sizing of plates etc.