Shed Dormer? 1 1/2 Story Cape Roof?

CrayonArchitect

HOME DESIGNER SUITE 2014

Good Afternoon All,

I have been trying for days to build a roof for a 1/2 story Cape.  After reading more articles and following more tutorials than I can count, I am right where I started.  Part of the problem is that the home has a taller height in the rear than the front.  I have tried adjusting the wall height/ceiling height on the first floor and building the wall directly from there, I have tried building a second floor, I have tried different roof types (salt, gable, dormer) etc.  I feel like I am now spinning my wheels and I am hoping someone can help me.  I have included photos of what I am trying to achieve and a photo if my current plan.  I am not worried with the garage and porch as they have "yet" to cause me any problems - just the main art of the house roof.

I truly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thank you!post-6841-0-37770000-1460133527_thumb.jpgpost-6841-0-62492800-1460133530_thumb.jpgpost-6841-0-84861000-1460133531_thumb.jpg

Here's what I came up with... keeping auto rebuild roofs on.

On the 1st floor:

Created three rooms for the garage and Gabled the end wall

The lower room is 108"    no change to the middle room  upper room 88 3/4"

Created a 2nd floor and created 2 rooms, the lower room 8 to 10' wide

Gabled the end walls

Lowered the 8 to 10' room ceiling to 0 the upper room to 60"

clicked on the upper wall and lowered the pitch to 6"

Change the plan default eave overhang to 12"   for the Gable walls to 4"   the auto roof return is 12"

Turned off auto roofs and reset the modified rooms back to their defaults and delete the walls.

post-3421-0-61019900-1460158311_thumb.jpgpost-3421-0-07001700-1460158338_thumb.jpg

First off, thank all of you that were so kind to offer your time to answer my question.  I went back to it and I seem to be doing better than before but, still don't have it quite right.  I have attached photos of where I am now.  Further thoughts on the weird bump in the middle of the roof or the crazy rear spaces and overhangs?

I did try to move the walls but things got really ugly, real fast.  I figured I'd stop and ask.

Again, your assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Jennifer

post-6841-0-84917700-1460470910_thumb.jpg

post-6841-0-35903700-1460470912_thumb.jpg

post-6841-0-23873700-1460470913_thumb.jpg

LawB10,

I just saw your photos from your post dated 08 April 2016 - 10:32 PM!!

This is it!! 

Saturday morning, I tried to follow your steps and most certainly did not get the same result.  I think I am missing obvious settings and options.  I was trying to figure out what aspects of the design were handled by making adjustments to the ceiling height, roof pitch, knee walls etc.

The closest I could come is shown in the photos in my last message.  I will give it another try using your steps and your images are showing EXACTLY what I want!  Thank you!  Thank you!

From looking at the real house pictures,  you might fare better by trying this tutorial.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00735/creating-a-saltbox-roof.html

Jo Ann

Both the Main house and the Garage are Salt box roofs  as you know you can't edit or manually build roofs and dormers in Suite. The way

the Dormers sit on the house you will have a problem if you create a salt box using the tutorial.

LawB10,

I just saw your photos from your post dated 08 April 2016 - 10:32 PM!!

This is it!! 

Saturday morning, I tried to follow your steps and most certainly did not get the same result.  I think I am missing obvious settings and options.  I was trying to figure out what aspects of the design were handled by making adjustments to the ceiling height, roof pitch, knee walls etc.

The closest I could come is shown in the photos in my last message.  I will give it another try using your steps and your images are showing EXACTLY what I want!  Thank you!  Thank you!

Your Welcome,

Click on the rooms and walls to see what was done, There are no knee walls , to reiterate  DO NOT make any changes until auto rebuild roof is unchecked

Then delete the Garage and 2nd floor wall, and click the the Defaults for those rooms. The roof will not change..

Jo Ann,

Please take another look at the pictures.....

The 2nd floor room is 33 X 21' 10"  after making adjustments the tutorial Saltbox is of no use.

The Garage is also a Saltbox with the back-end about 6 to 7' high and the Gable wall Pitch looks to be 12

The eave overhang looks to be 6 or 8"..... after making the adjustments to match the pic the ceiling heights are lower

Your build is to high  LOL.

LawB10 and Jo Ann,

Okay, I have started over, and over and over.  There is something that I am obviously not getting or simply cannot do with the version that I have.  I can get either a 1 /12 story or a salt box roof or build a shed dormer by creating exterior walls, etc.  What I can't get is a 1 1/2 story cape with a shed dormer like the one in the photos.

I have followed the tutorials to be the best of my ability but, I cannot get the same results you are showing me in your replies.  (Apparently, the 2017 trial will not help me as I won't be able to save my plan.) 

Do either of you have any other suggestions or, is there another help forum I might try?

Again, I thank you for your time and expertise!

The roof you are trying to create is very simple to do with your program version.  Are you perhaps trying to place an 'auto dormer' across the back of the house?  Don't.

The instructions that solver suggested in post #2 are very easy to follow.  Delete the 2nd floor and start over, following the instructions.

The only reason for using the 2017 trial version is so that you can view someone else's plan file, which might be beneficial to you.

I think I'm getting there...I downloaded 2017 and opened plan2 from LawB10.  I basically copied everything and reproduced it over in 2014.  It came close and I have posted photos.  The issue I am having now is the ridge, which seems to be off-center.  Also, there are some interesting roof planes that I'm not sure how to fix.  Thankspost-6841-0-08700300-1460923958_thumb.jpgpost-6841-0-00539800-1460923959_thumb.jpg

Hello!  I have finally gotten the roof right!  It was a combination of playing with the roof pitches and the ceiling height.  Thank you all for your patience.  Part of the problem is that I didn't have exact measurements so I was not getting exact results.

The latest issue (and I'm not entirely sure if it might have something to do with the 1 1/2 story structure) is the dormer windows not showing.  I chose Build dormer and got the following message:  Dormer roof does not meet base roof, probably near the top.  You may need to mover the dormer down the roof or lower its height.  I tried to simply place it, figuring I could move it after it was built.  It will not show in 3d view or framing view.  All I see is the grey rectangle in plan view?  Can someone suggest (the obvious) detail(s) that I am missing?

Thanks again.  I'm getting there... one mistake at a time :)