Siding Color changes back when I close file

HuskerJack

Hello, I am running HD Suite 2016.   I started my first plan and the exterior walls were all the default tan siding.  I have changed the default settings, materials, walls (exterior) to red siding (which I want.).   I then also selected all the exterior walls of my plan (by selecting just outside of the roofline), open object, exterior room, exterior walls, edit material - I choose red.    The siding then all changes to the desired red while I continue to work with the file.  All is good until I save the plan and exit.  Then when I re open it, it is back to tan.   Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong !  thanks.... (FYI it does not allow me to select default settings, walls, exterior walls, material - it only allows selecting the type of siding (siding -6) as an example.

There are several ways to corrupt material settings, none of which can be determined without access to your plan. There are of course "Default Settings - Materials - Exterior Walls", Default Settings - Wall - Exterior Wall", you could have a problem changing the default material of your exterior walls using the Material Painter or Sprayer without first changing default settings for that wall type. There is also a specialized way to select the entire exterior of a structure and then setting its material using that tool without changing Default Settings - Exterior Walls or Default Settings - Materials - Exterior Walls. New users often just guess as to how to change materials without first studying how to properly use those tools and settings which of course then brings chaos and dismay. This is the most common new user problem.

DJP

Thanks for the replies.   I have not touched the material painter or sprayer. I did however, select all the exterior walls and changed their color.  I thought I had changed the default first.  In any event, I think I have a workaround, I saved under a different file-name and that seems to have temporarily solved the problem.   It opens up with the desired color now when opening the new file-name file.

You can change walls by shift-select, then their Materials Tab - interior- exterior but the best way is to open a single wall -Wall types tab and alter the entire wall type. That way all instances of that wall type are globally changed but you are always best served by changing your Exterior Wall Default settings first as opposed to making changes locally in the plan file. If you want to change the material on only one wall you use its dialog box-materials Tab  exterior or interior material setting and it will effect only that one wall.

DJP