JCRemodel

Gable end extension elevated & beam at gable end

I can't seam to find a reason why the roof layout does not enter into the main roof proper.  When I change the ceiling height of the extension to 120" the roof does a crazy design causing 4 valley's.  The main building has a 96" ceiling height.  What am I not seeing here?  I've clicked on every button, watched all the videos and read the roof section of the manual and cannot find what to do to fix this.  I'm sure it's something simple.  

Also, I have attached a pic of a structure that I'm trying to design with post and beams elevated above the existing roof.  Any helpful hints to layout the roof framing angle at the top of the gable end?  

Thank you in advance for your time and any help. 

post-5540-0-91360900-1453042833_thumb.png

post-5540-0-13168900-1453042835_thumb.png

post-5540-0-83849700-1453043206_thumb.jpg

A quick guess...  You have an exterior wall running through the interior where the two section of the building meet.  Take that wall out, replacing it with an interior wall if needed.  I think it's trying to attach a roof to that piece of exterior wall, at a different height that you have the rooms defined.

The program is doing just what you told it to do. Two spaces, different ceiling heights. It will build a roof to cover them.

It does not know how you want the roofs to connect, only their basic shape (pitch, hip, gable etc).

Using automatic roofs, you must guide the program to do what you want. Manual roofs are different.

Draw a small room inside the larger space that mirrors the extension. Don't let the back wall go past the ridge of the large space. Set the ceiling height of this new room to 120" to match the height of the extension.

The roof is always controlled from the rooms below. Raise and lower ceiling heights to raise and lower the roof.

You have now given the program what it needs to build your roof as desired. 

--------------

It helps if we know what title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2014, 2015 etc) you are using. You can add this info to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click My Settings, then Signature on the left. 

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)