transferring plan from Home Designer 2016 to 2015??

dznr4u

I am an Interior Designer and recently bought Home Designer 2016 because my client has HD 2015.  When I tried to transfer my plans to the client's computer via thumbdrive and email (I tried saving, exporting as dxf, utilizing dropbox, etc), the client was not able to open the file on the 2015 version and access it.  Is there a method of doing this so the client can have full access to all the features in the HD program?

Since the beginning, no legacy versions can open or edit files saved to a newer version (that is a major reason that I have and maintain so many legacy versions of Chief and Home Designer so that I can work with persons who use earlier versions. I cannot address the inability to import a .dxf file, that should have worked in most cases.

DJP

Have your Client buy the Upgrade to 2016 , it's the only way I know of....and isn't that expaensive for a 1 yr jump . You can open their files but not the other way around as there is no backward capability , this is so even in Premier. I wouldn't do it myself, but if the Client is important you could call Sales about a Downgrade to 2015.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/home-designer-pro/

• Upvote 1

Thank you David and KBird for the insight into difficulties of Chief Architect's Home Designer Pro's compatibility with previous versions  Other programs do not have that problem as much but there is potential loss in the translation from one version to the next.  I found out my client's version is not 2015, but the 2010 version so there is a greater gap to update.