Are exterior walls required?

MikeS15

I'm trying out a demo and would like to see how to design a kitchen. I'd prefer to not have to measure my entire house to lay out all of the exterior walls.

Are exterior walls necessary or could I just draw the one exterior wall segment that is part of my kitchen, then draw the interior walls. Thanks!

just draw walls around kitchen, add doors, door ways etc.

Then maybe use the ROOM DIVIDER wall type to enclose off space so you can have a room and then have floors and ceiling.

All depends on your kitchen.

But you do not need to draw entire house.

I know as I am checking on ways to redo a bathroom so I just drew the bathroom walls.

When I design interior projects like kitchens or baths, I will draw a perimeter with exterior walls, then lay out the needed interior walls. This way, when you put in doors, doorways, etc, the program will default to your interior door specs, Plus if you do the 3D interior views, it will provide extra depth of an existing structure to them.

I used Home Designer Architectural to remodel three of my bathrooms. On one, I just used the exterior walls for all, so that the bathroom was the house.  On the others, I drew a small rectangle of exterior walls for a truncated house, then put in the interior bathroom walls.  It worked well for me and I really appreciated being able to 3D visualize the bathrooms without measuring the whole house.

Thank you for your replies. I experimented with using one exterior wall where my kitchen does indeed face the backyard, then used interior walls for the other walls. I'd rather not use exterior walls for everything if it's going to make them thicker than interior walls. Though, I imagine I could re-define the exterior wall thickness.