Roof Design

JasonSJ

Renerabbitt, and Jo_Ann; Thank you both for all of your time and input your ideas have helped me vision something beyond the limited versions I came up with earlier.

I have lived in this house most of the time since the late 80's, I have only ever seen one home with the same floor plan, I believe that one remains unchanged at least as far as the roofline goes.

Renerabbitt, I like the many options created with your second proposal of cutting the trusses at "C", this will also preserve all of the rooms that are already remodeled. I know this option will add more expense and difficulty, compared to 'only' removing the two smaller sections over part of the living room and family room. Jo_Ann I also like your clerestory window design, but, as Renerabbitt wrote; the truss framing for the main/back portion of the house is bearing on line "B and E" from Rennerrabbitt's. I am not sure how I could incorporate the clerestory design into a roof plan that would work, I will work on this some more.  Maybe only having the slightly raised ceiling in the new kitchen, instead of tearing into the living room and family room (as much). Now I feel like I have some really good ideas to work with, and experiment with and am closer to presenting options to a professional  to move forward.

6 hours ago, JasonSJ said:

Renerabbitt, and Jo_Ann; Thank you both for all of your time and input your ideas have helped me vision something beyond the limited versions I came up with earlier.

I have lived in this house most of the time since the late 80's, I have only ever seen one home with the same floor plan, I believe that one remains unchanged at least as far as the roofline goes.

Renerabbitt, I like the many options created with your second proposal of cutting the trusses at "C", this will also preserve all of the rooms that are already remodeled. I know this option will add more expense and difficulty, compared to 'only' removing the two smaller sections over part of the living room and family room. Jo_Ann I also like your clerestory window design, but, as Renerabbitt wrote; the truss framing for the main/back portion of the house is bearing on line "B and E" from Rennerrabbitt's. I am not sure how I could incorporate the clerestory design into a roof plan that would work, I will work on this some more.  Maybe only having the slightly raised ceiling in the new kitchen, instead of tearing into the living room and family room (as much). Now I feel like I have some really good ideas to work with, and experiment with and am closer to presenting options to a professional  to move forward.

If you left the ceilings in the living room and family room intact, eliminating messing with the existing trusses, but removed the ceiling in the new kitchen area with clerestory windows, would the large doorways in the family room and living room provide enough of the open-ness you want?
In this pic, living room walls are gray, existing bathroom wall is green, and the blue wall is the entry to the family room.

image.thumb.png.067ff3f1d003f22c8a3ef3c861e68092.png

Rennerabbit; You went above and beyond! Thank you once again! Great ideas, nice presentation!

Jo_Ann; Thank you! Yes, I am coming to the realization that a less grand plan (higher ceiling in that entire half of the house); that focusing on the features/ceiling in the added area might be my best option.