Newbie having trouble with gable roofs

Peteski

I have just downloaded Home Designer Architectural 2024 and am a newbie with CAD and home design on software. I am a DIYer attempting to plan a major landscape redesign. I wanted to use this tool to visualize what I am thinking and place our house accurately on our lot.  I had a survey done about a year ago.

I have created the exterior walls and windows/doors and that was pretty straight forward. I think I have that pretty much right. We have a single story ranch with two bump outs with gables that are 90 degrees to the main roof line.  I watched the tutorials and every combination I have tried either produces a roof that is not correct, or creates a wonky roof structure and I get a bunch of error and/or warning messages.  I think it should be way simpler than what I am doing, but I can seem to find the right combination. I have tried changing every wall to a hip and just doing the two main walls as gable, but the build roof always creates additional roof structure that is unwanted. We have a pretty basic roof truss structure that defines the E-W roofline and the bump outs are gable roofs as well.

I am wondering if the issue is with my version and do I need to upgrade? It seems like this should be a very solvable problem as we have a pretty common roof style.

Are there good books you can recommend on this topic? The standard tutorials are not helping with my issue. Thanks very much!

Eric,

Thanks so much for your assistance!  No rush at all. My yard is a disaster but looking to DIY as much as I can on the yard. Apologize for the obscured front. 

I tried to reset the default wall settings back as you suggested. I have also included some photos. They are dark and I am hoping they are sufficient to see what I am attempting to do.

Very much appreciate your support and the support from the community.

housepictures.zip 20240622 1695 Iris First Try.plan