Bonus area over garage

Jarenand

Go to solution Solved by thebeedubya,

I am wondering what is the easiest and most efficient way to add this bonus area over the garage. Im not sure if I should create another floor and draw the bonus area in manually or what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Ill attached what im going for and the plan file. 

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplans/00900374/modern-farmhouse-plan-2025-square-feet-3-4-bedrooms-2-bathrooms?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=009-00374&utm_campaign=shopping_group_2&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqmwBhBVEiwAL-WAYXLamj0ca5zZlWXctaUCojvHDto2Y7zsPLqmotnbUsrR4FJY8dXN6xoCFfMQAvD_BwE

BLACKBURN PLAN.plan

• Solution

I just did this for converting my attic.  You'll need to add a second floor.  It was a weird concept to me but it's how the software works.

For adding attic type rooms under an existing roof system, the key is to accurately emulate the existing home. Then you "save-as" a copy of the "as-built" accurate model, then add a "blank Second floor" without rebuilding roofs. Then when you draw the walls for living space in what was the attic, you end up with what possible, living space is then available. It should be done carefully, checking the virtual model against the existing house with lots of dimensions to make sure that your copy is faithful to the original.

DJP

there are several articles on this.  I found the easiest thing is to add a second floor and start with blank and not create from floor plan.  That's more of a story and a half which is what I just did.

good luck!

Brad

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jarenand said:

Thanks Brad. I appreciate your reply. So as far as selecting living area and putting room lables on the attic bonus rooms is that possible? 

I just did the same thing.  If you look at my last post, you'll see I had to create some invisible walls in order for it to work and to unselect all the ATTIC WALL check box from the wall.

good luck!

• Like 1

thebeedubya said: "If you look at my last post, you'll see I had to create some invisible walls in order for it to work".  That is poor advice.

Invisible walls have nothing to do with it.