Attic Created as second floor unable to create stairs

thebeedubya

Go to solution Solved by Garybills,

Hello Everyone.  Thank you for all of the help in getting my roof to line up. That was amazing and we finally have a digital twin.   I am working on the last bits and very much struggling to get the stairs to the newly created second floor to create an opening.   I keep getting image.thumb.png.725375473c48cccbab4a8e48b045cece.png

This error.  I have ensured I do have a second floor,  it looks normal when I look at the default settings.  When i turn on framing I see the ceiling joists, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it should show up as floor joist.  I'm not seeing subfloor on the level.

I am sure I am doing something silly but any help would be greatly appreciated. Really stuck here.  I've attached my current plan.  Thank you in advance for any help you might can give me.

Brad Wood

Home Designer Pro 2024

Apple Mac Book Pro M3 16"

MAC OS 14.3.1

2217Lindell_2 3.plan.zip

If you created the 2nd floor, by adding new walls to the existing attic walls, then those attic walls are still designated as"no room definition".

Until you can select the area as a "room", no stairwell will be created, because the program can not find the room above the 1st floor.+

Hi Brad, I just opened your plan in HDP 2024 Trail version and there are no walls defining the second floor only Dormers and attic walls. Attached is a screenshot of the 2nd floor. There are ceiling joist because there is no 2nd floor to build floor joist. 1424113762_2ndfloorwalls.thumb.PNG.e6b0bcd1277adebd4e4b97107d5212dd.PNG

The second floor is a finished attic and I followed the instructions for creating it.  Looking at the floors there is a second floor that I had the system build.  The lack of walls are where the rafters go to the first floor since this is a floor and a half.   Did I do something wrong creating the second level? There should be floor 0, 1, 2, and A.  Is that not right?

Thank you so much for the response!  

7 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

If you created the 2nd floor, by adding new walls to the existing attic walls, then those attic walls are still designated as"no room definition".

Until you can select the area as a "room", no stairwell will be created, because the program can not find the room above the 1st floor.+

So are you saying that I need to select those walls and give them a room definition.  let me give that a try and see what happens

Thanks for the advice but still no luck, I've removed the NO ROOM DEFINITIONS flag on the walls and I still can't select the room. Not quite sure how to build the wall, since this is basically a finished gabled attic so the rafters will run from the ridge to the top plate on the first floor.  

image.thumb.png.906a40074bdd085ddd43f2e6f78074e2.png

The rendered view is correct, so I'm certain I have a nerd knob turned in the wrong direction, but for the life of me I can't figure out what.  

image.thumb.png.44e7582bc58866fbfce828c8666ae617.png

Thanks again for the advice.  I'm certain I'm almost there....

Brad Wood

HDP 2024

MBP

MacOS 14.3

• Solution
7 minutes ago, thebeedubya said:

So are you saying that I need to select those walls and give them a room definition.  let me give that a try and see what happens

They will need to be connected all the way around and then uncheck no room definition in the wall specification. I was curious so I used invisible walls and connected them, then unchecked no room definition on all the attic walls. It's not perfect but gets you a floor up there.1196800918_Capture2.thumb.PNG.9135c9556ab68355572bf6fed198676a.PNG48344911_2ndfloorwalls.thumb.PNG.ceb82ab60f80803dc1e2bc69b4abfddd.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.4d60f9fe4792c8d0d8e144d48bb4c1f5.PNG

Gary!  Invisible walls, newbie mistake for sure!  I have built them but I still can't get the room to create.   Is there one more thing that I should do.  I have verified that all of the walls do not have attic wall selected.   I know I am almost there... Thank you again for all the help.  I will never forget invisible walls again, that's the secret sauce for sure!

Brad

image.thumb.png.bb1b68ef69d20bb1a4a94227e2995054.png

Problem solved.  I selected all the walls in a single instance, clicked open, and one was defined as no room def.  unselected and it works.   Thank you so much for the guidance.  This software is so powerful and so many options.    I really am thankful for the community of people who help make it easy for us amateurs to get great results.  Thank you @Garybills for taking the time to help me figure this out.

Onward and upward.

Brad

• Like 1