Existing to remain?

VisionNet

KITCHEN RENOVATION PROJECT

I need to show both existing and new light fixtures in plan  and perspective

I am "tagging" light fixtures in the OBJECT INFORMATION tab, COMMENT section, to track which light fixtures are new, versus light fixtures that are existing to remain

But the take-off tool just sees all of them as "new"

Is there a better way to distinguish between these two classes of objects?

Welcome to HomeTalk @VisionNet

Please start here: https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/8582-getting-started-with-hometalk/

14 hours ago, VisionNet said:

But the take-off tool just sees all of them as "new"

It's helpful to use the same terms used in the software, and it's often helpful to include an image or 2 so we see what you see. I'm guessing "take-off tool" is the materials list.

Attaching a simple plan file -- in this case one with two light fixtures tagged new and existing will keep someone from having to duplicate (guessing) at what you are doing.

A common practice for remodeling projects is to first create a relationally correct "as Built" of the existing conditions of the project and then make a copy (save-as) of that renaming it "Proposed" project when in you then make your changes (demo walls, altered electric, fixtures etc. ). You then print both views as plans so the project, start to finish gets graphically communicated.

DJP

Thank you both

1) I assume your contributions here are a labor of love and not reimbursed, so I will endeavor to be more exacting in my future comms (but I don't think "take-off tool" is an egregious leap from "materials list").  Whatever.  I am tracking new vs. existing to remain in the materials list(Making a comment and keeping the existing fixture cost at $0 will be my main method of tracking what is new vs. existing)

2) But the software is advertised as a remodeling platform.  Managing two sets of plans (existing and proposed), is not a best practice when a renovation project can require distinguishing between hundreds of wall, fixture and objects, some existing to remain and some new.

3) Why not add a "DEMOLITION" layer that is default dashed lines in plan, and is not picked up in the materials list?

image.png

I'm sure you know, Chief Architect has two product lines, Home Designer and Chief Architect. Chief has many features to manage remodeling projects, and many other capabilities that Home Designer lacks. It also cost far more.

I can imagine some convoluted ways to do things, like having 2 plans, one for existing where you can change line color and style, labels and other things. Send this plan to layout as an overlay (or underlay) to your remodel plan.

You could also relabel that items. Some will add (e) or (n) for example to the label.

For ease of use, your solution seems workable and probably easiest.