Convert .jpg file to .dxf file

mdmcmaster

I am trying to determine if and how I can use Home Designer to simply create a .dxf file from a .jpg file.   

While I have used Home Designer (HD) many times in the past to create buildings, this time I want to use HD to simply act as a converter for a .jpg file I have.   The .dxf file will be used for laser cutting my .jpg image onto a metal plate.

I have tried Importing a .jpg file, sizing it to the dimensions I need, then Exporting to a .dxf file format using the default dialog settings.   The result is an empty file.   I suspect I need an object to place the .jpg image onto, such as a soffit, but I don't want the soffit attributes as part of the .dxf data.

Is there a way to create a .dxf file in HD containing just the information in the .jpg file?   I see plenty of conversion tools out there on the web, but this is a one time action and think I have the tool I need.

Thanks!

Mike McMaster

Home Designer Pro 2018

Build 19.3.1.8x64

10 hours ago, mdmcmaster said:

Is there a way to create a .dxf file in HD containing just the information in the .jpg file?

Isn't the DXF a vector fie and the jpg a raster image?

My comment would be that you'd need to trace the jpg image using HD tools etc., to create items that would then be a useful in the dxf fie.

I suggest only.

Thats me done on this subject.

What is the jpg image of?