Door inset (outset?) in thick walls

Houska

Go to solution Solved by Houska,

I'm building a superinsulated, passive-style house with thick exterior walls (14" Larsen truss on the outside 2x6 load bearing frame). I want windows and sliding exterior doors at the outside of the thick wall assembly.

In HDPro, I've defined a wall type where just the 2x6 framing layer is main, the extra 14" is an exterior layer; this gets the framing more right.

With "Recessed" unchecked in the window specification dialog (or default settings), but "Fit frame to wall" selected, I get tolerable results for the windows, though I actually use "Fit frame to wall" off and a manual frame inset value since with "fit frame to wall" the interior of the window well is rendered using the "Sash (interior)" rather than "Trim (interior)" materials.

However, when I do the same with doors (using the sash instead of frame settings), while the sash in the door*way* does move as expected, the sliding door itself remains resolutely set in the middle of the wall's main layer. It does not move in and out to match the sash.

See pic attached. It's not a plan view artifact - the 3D representation matches. (By the way, of course the negative inset windows and doors on the top right, where the Larsen layer is part of the main layers, are impossible - I put them in to show the difference the main layer definition generates.)

Any way to make it move, as with the red arrows I drew, to be consistent with window behaviour?

I can't figure out if this is a bug (I can't really imagine the door position being away from its sash?), a feature limitation (sorry, need to upgrade to Chief?), or me not getting something about door framing or terminology. By the way, I've tried with hinged exterior doors too, just in trying to figure it out. While the sliding doors are always in the middle of the main layer, the hinged doors are always on their swing side of the whole wall assembly -- also limiting, though I guess there is some physical sense to it in that case.

door_weirdness.png

• Solution

Eventually solved with support.

For slider (patio) doors, the right analog to "Move with frame" for windows is actually "Offset from wall" on the general tab, not "Inset" of the doorjamb.

For hinged doors and other similar, they will always be flush with the side they open towards. To replicate the effect above, for instance in a thick masonry or superinsulated wall, need to break the wall and insert a thinner (potentially pony) wall. This is sort reflective of how a builder would think about it ("I need to make a really wide rough opening into which I will frame out the door with the desired inset").