Problems with auto-generated roof.

Shpyda

It was recommended that I move this post here and that I include the floor plan images.

I am drawing my current home in Home Designer Suite 2024 as a reference and means to preview renovations. Everything was going very well until I got to the roof generation. I almost have things working perfectly, except for when I add the garage into the mix, and then it all falls apart. I've tried everything I can think of and now would like to ask the experts. My roof does have some complicated inclines, but I feel like I should have gotten this by now and I've been very close. Not sure what else I can change to make this work and it doesn't help that there is no room for manual manipulation of the roof in this product.

The first attached image "roof_without_garage.png" shows the main house roof as it should be. It starts with 5" in 12 pitch and then goes to 10" in 12 shortly after the dormer and it was able to recreate this beautifully. Also note the small straight 10" in 12 slope in the back that goes from the second floor to the first floor.

roof_without_garage.thumb.png.3f844cf197963fd675b1d328c3698059.png

The second image "roof_with_garage.png" shows what happens when I add the garage roof. It should be 5" in 12 on both sides, but the garage doesn't ultimately go to the 10" in 12 so it shouldn't follow in the same way as the main roof. You can also see that this breaks the slope in the back of the house as well as in the front near the dormer.

roof_with_garage.thumb.png.282a4d1b1d940dc431b2fefa645f20ab.png

I've tried everything I can to get this to separate to no avail. What do I need to do to handle this properly? Where to even start? I've tried to put in breaks in the garage wall and even tried to draw a room divider line and nothing has gotten me to the necessary result. Apologies in advanced if my terminology is not proper as I don't do home design for a living, but I'm beyond frustrated at this point. All suggestions are welcome and let me know if you need more information.

Thank you,

Ryan

first_floor.png

roof_with_garage.png

roof_without_garage.png

second_floor.png

Thanks for moving your post, and thanks for the floor plan image.

The main house roof is correct, and you are trying to add a garage addition?

It is confusing what the garage roof is supposed to look like.

A little more info is needed.

Is it supposed to look like this?

image.thumb.png.e7d8372b9fb457d8f5ce5c687aaaf136.png

The roof on the garage should be straight as shown with the red line. it ties into the lower (5" in 12) pitch of the main house roof, but continues that same pitch after the main house switches to 10" in 12 pitch at the green lines. Hope this makes it clear. This is how the house currently is. What I was saying originally is that the roof comes out correctly on the main house if I exclude the garage. When I include the garage it creates all of these issues with breaks and open walls. 

image.thumb.png.f8b8b7d037e7c4d855c4156b3f1724bd.pngimage.thumb.png.ea67b6a933c801b1f1ac996f2eb44b93.png

It looks great but where you have the pitch change (red line) should be closer to where the green line is at. I'm sure it'll still work the same.

image.thumb.png.c791bd368269cd7a2d8661f4e070c740.png

When I try to generate and include the garage I get the following error:

Error.thumb.png.f181a4727b51e86e819843f8e36e1fc7.png

It indicates that my issue is the red arrow. I have that horizontal line set to "knee wall" and all walls that fall perpendicular to it set as gable walls. Not sure why it only has  a problem with this wall when I include the garage and seems to do fine when I don't.

I also just noticed that it's putting in this return at the end of the porch and treating it like it's its own independent roof which should not be the case. I've looked all over and cannot find why it's completing it like that. I wonder if that is what is causing the issues elsewhere?

image.thumb.png.e28fcf7feed519b0e5bb754003108826.png

41 minutes ago, solver said:

If you will attach the plan file -- close Suite first, it will make it far easier for someone to help.

I've attached the file and you'll see that I did attempt the fix Jo_Ann recommended and it did work very well. Though I still can help but wonder if I have settings incorrect. The extra return that I had pointed out above related to the covered porch is still existent and I'm noticing these weird artifacts on the left an right dormers when I look at them from an interior view as seen below:

image.thumb.png.9f7135584bb61224930d43d7197c0e9b.png

***Not to pile on other stuff, but super, ultra, mega-points if anyone can help me figure out how to tie the back-sloped roof section to the the small roof covering the back door as seen below:

BackOfHouse.thumb.jpg.cb15b7c122f6aad63d0f96ed28bb7e97.jpg

Our Home.zip

49 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

For the garage roof,

Some trickery is needed.

I hope this pic is explanatory enough.

image.thumb.png.c5565f92c64dfbbecd0a5ed9252c7bfc.png

I added a follow-up, but wanted to address you directly to indicate that this solution did work out great to fix the issue and cause the errors to go away. My new post does reveal a few other things that could also be contributing to the weirdness and also includes the plan file so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I appreciate your help very much!!