hole in the wall

jwdvorak

Using Home Designer Suite... making a plan for two attached boat/RV garages with a common gable roof. One garage is offset from the other (picture #1). To achieve necessary height the building has a shortened 2nd floor, approximately 6' tall (1.5 floors). This configuration leaves a giant hole in front & rear exterior wall sections (picture #2).

image.thumb.png.d43fdb26bf3db95e1bb7a0046c89b70e.pngimage.thumb.png.52cc405b98295e849e7540ee980e3e8d.png

I tried adding wall extensions on the 2nd floor... it closed the holes in the upper exterior, but adds a "phantom" hanging wall inside each section of the building (picture #3 & #4). If I make the wall extensions Invisible, the exterior holes reappear.

image.thumb.png.d0b63d0f33138a703df8d7cf316d2500.pngimage.thumb.png.8bd81e706dfc60f0afba1642490e505d.png

How can I close these holes in the exterior wall without introducing interior wall extensions? Alternatively, how can I add the wall extensions & split them vertically, to make the lower interior section Invisible & the upper exterior section solid?

TIA,

Woody

Hi Woody, I've tried to draw your example in the trail version of Home Designer Suite. The problem is with the center wall dividing the two side rooms, if you delete it the outside closes in. In Chief Premier there is an option to balloon wall through ceiling above which fixes it, but that option isn't available in suite. Also, in Suite you can't adjust the bottom of the walls you have in the picture. I'm not sure what you solution will be other than removing the center wall. 

Hey Gary, thanks for the tip. I played around with it, used wall breaks to remove the wall section dividing the two garages, you're right, it closed the hole. It's a conundrum, tho, because the plan is for 2 attached garages & houses (zero lot line or duplex), so the wall separating the 2 garages is necessary.

Redrawing an interior to wall separate the 2 garages on the 1st floor had no effect, but adding a wall on the 2nd floor, the hole reappeared until I selected the No Room Definition option. It's a hack, but it works.

Thanks again, appreciate your advice.

Woody