Porch

Eddieg

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

I recently upgraded from Home Designer Suite 2021 to Architectural 2023, but I don’t have a lot of experience with Home Designer software. I am drawing a rectangular porch in front of the house, recessed under the roof, but with a small extension of the porch out in front of the entrance door. The house basically has a hip roof but we want a gable roof over the wall of porch extension. I have drawn the porch and built invisible exterior walls to define the room. We want a post and beam “rail” around it. When I draw the railing the walls disappear and no longer have the room defined and the roof disappears. I also tried drawing the posts and beams using the cabinet soffit tools. I’m sure I’m missing something simple. Any suggestions? (I hope this is clearer than mud).

Thank you David. When I draw the railing, it doesn't define the room because of the gap in the railing where we walk up the steps. If I put the rail all the way across, without an opening, then it will define the room and I have the gable.

• Solution

You enclose the porch with railing walls as I  already  suggested, then using the "Break Wall"  tool  you use  it to divide  a small section of that railing wall to detach that segment from the rest of that wall and program that detached segment as "Invisible" thus creating a closed room  with an opening it the outer wall.

DJP