Does the current version of HD Pro address these things? Cabinets, BIM content, Manual layers, dimensioning flexibility etc.

LynetteArnold

Hi everyone,

I've used Home Designer Pro 2016 for 6 years and have referred to tutorials and the manual as I've slowly learned how to use the software but I'm still finding there are a lot of things where I cannot achieve the result I am looking for. This may be because I just haven't achieved enough depth of understanding (likely for many of them) or it may be because the software does not address it yet. I'm at a point where I need to decide whether to update to the current version OR investigate other software packages, but I'd prefer to stay with what I have so I don't have to learn another new package. Can anyone tell me whether the current software addresses the following? Or maybe my old version does already and I just don't know how to do it.

1. Door/drawer panels on cabinets appear in sectional views but not in plan view, so the relationship and dimensions of an overhang and a cupboard appears correctly on the plan but incorrectly in sectional elevations. Maybe there is a way to draw this to achieve correct detailing in both views?
  2. Often I need to do a decorative end panel on a cabinet - does the new version allow for this?
  3. I'd like to have more control for applying finishes such as tiles so that I can determine my setout points - can I do this?
  4.  I need more flexibility for drawing cabinets, such as specifying different finishes for cabinet backs/sides, and being able to split the cabinets into different sections with different treatments.
  5. I find the supplied 3D content limited and am trying to move towards using imported BIM content but I've found that most manufacturers seem to be providing Revit 3D content, which does not seem to be able to be imported into HD Pro. Do I have that right or should I be able to bring in Revit 3D formats? Maybe it's just that my version is too old to accept it?
  6. I'd like to be able to create a legend using the objects that represent the items in my drawing, especially for electrical items. I've just created all my legends manually, but is there a better way?
  7. I'd like some help understanding how to manipulate wall definitions without having to define a whole new wall each time I need to make a change to a wall. e.g. is there a simple way to make a change to single wall's definition without changing the definition for that wall type? Maybe I haven't been doing it right?
  8. Very importantly, I'd like to be able to create my own layers, and move things on and off layers so I can switch things on and off for viewing/printing. This has been a huge limitation - please tell me the new version allows this ....
  9. Another important thing - I always need to do site surveys and create an accurate drawing of the existing building. While I may then do demolition or additions that change the existing built structure, I always want to be able to see that existing structure. Is there a way to create the drawing and then copy it in place and convert/treat it as an "existing" or reference level so that I can always see it there but it won't change as I design the new space?
  10. Dimensioning - when I have multiple rooms and dimension all the spaces, it means that dimensions for one room have to be positioned "in" the adjacent room, which means they might be over furniture or other items and the drawing looks messy. Is there a way to send only a particular room or space (and the dimensions for it) to my layout so the drawings look much better? If not, how do you all deal with this issue? Do you just put dimensions on to separate layers and switch them on and off as needed? 

These are just a few and I would be so grateful if anyone has any input that could help me decide whether to upgrade. One of my contacts is referring me to ArchlineXP as the new standard, especially in Europe, but it's another software learning curve ..... (long sigh!)

Many thanks,

Suggest you download the latest trial and see for yourself.

You might also consider one of the Chief Architect titles, Premier or Interiors as they will do far more than even the latest version of Pro.

If you want specific answers to your individual questions, best to contact Chief directly for questions about does the latest version do this, or starting multiple threads (one question per) asking how best to use the software you have now.