Program won't save using same name

When I'm working in Home Designer Pro, I have a new problem (as of a month ago).  Every time I save a plan as I'm working in it, the program changes the file name by adding a number at the end.  So I end up with multiple files, each taking up an enormous amount of space.  For example, if I'm working with a plan file called "U-shaped kitchen.plan", I'll end up with "U-shaped kitchen 1.plan", "U-shaped kitchen 2.plan", "U-shaped kitchen 3.plan", etc.  Has anyone else had this problem and do you know how to fix it?  I'm currently working in Home Designer Pro 2018 (and yes I know I should upgrade).  

*** I see you said Pro 2018 ***

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding that info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Home Designer - Getting Started - Setting Preferences and Defaults

13 minutes ago, NancySnyder said:

the program changes the file name by adding a number at the end.

Never experienced, or know of anyone that has this problem.

Adding some info about your computer to your signature will be helpful. Need to know Mac or Windows for example.

46 minutes ago, NancySnyder said:

Has anyone else had this problem and do you know how to fix it?  I'm currently working in Home Designer Pro 2018 (and yes I know I should upgrade).

No, been using the software since 1994 and I have never seen this happen. Makes me wonder what EXACTLY you ARE doing to cause this!

DJP

David, I'm working on a MacBook Air.  I merely hit the save icon periodically, to save my work as I'm going along.  Then when I go to look in my files, I see that each time I do that, my plan is being saved with a different numeric extension.  I'm not doing anything differently that I have been doing for all the years that I've been using Home Designer Pro, but this problem started happening about a month ago.