Racer22

Help with roof for new house

I have been fighting for several weeks trying to figure out how to put my house (new construction) in to Home Designer Suite 2019. I can’t get the roof to look like my house. I am really struggling on where to even begin getting my home into the software. Do I start with exterior walls? Foundation? Do I draw my garage when I do exterior walls? So many questions, I would appreciate any help or insight anyone would be willing to offer.

I am certainly not a novice when it comes to computers but I can’t seem to wrap my head around working with this software. I can’t even get to the cool part of the design elements let alone even get to putting interior walls.

Frustrated!

~Randy

Left Side.JPG

Front.JPG

Attempt.JPG

Back.JPG

Right Side.JPG

Generic blurb follows ...

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding this info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Change the roof pitch and draw in the porch. Forget for now about the gable over the porch.

Once the basic look is correct, post your plan file and someone may help with the gable.

I guess I don't understand which roof pitch to change. I have tried so many of the walls (to change pitch) and nothing ever seems to change. I have tried to draw the porch but how do I do that, ad the extra overhang on the front walls (I already tried that)? And I don't know how to eliminate the the additional gable that gets created by the garage & house roofs to create one roof so to say in order to make the porch.

12 minutes ago, Racer22 said:

which roof pitch to change

Build roof dialog -- not in a wall dialog. Then go to Edit>Reset To Defaults, choose Roof Directives In Walls (only if you have changed pitch for a specific wall -- and you will need to set gable and returns again).

15 minutes ago, Racer22 said:

I have tried to draw the porch

Draw walls outlining it. Change the room type to porch. Make the walls invisible.