PBR 2020 light issue

Angie15

I upgraded to Pro 2020 from 2019 and I'm asking for help with the new PBR rendering in HD Pro 2020.

I’ve searched PRB on Chieftalk, watched the tutorials, and read the reference manual. I’ve been playing around with sun intensity, angles, lighting and materials etc and it seems to make no difference. It’s still dark. In the tutorial videos, there is very little light difference between the standard render and the PBR, only a few teaks are needed. In mine, its like night and day.

In this room (pic 1) I have 8x10000 lumen lights and 2 x 5000 lumen lights. Sunlight is default. In a realistic scenario this room would be blinding (A stadium light is 60000 lumens)

In pic 2 there is 4x10000 and 2x5000 (I removed 4 lights)

In pic 3 there are 2x5000 lumens (removed all the ceiling lights)

There seems to be very little difference. It’s still dark. The white walls, ceiling and cabinet are not white either.

I have the most recent graphics driver. Is there a setting somewhere that I’m missing or is this a technical problem that I should report?

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

Hi Angie,

Now I don't have home designer pro 2020 but the same thing happens when I import a drawing file from past versions into 2020 of architectural 2020 (which I have ) the rooms and lighting are dark. But when it is a new drawing no issues. When it imports the lighting data something goes wrong. But what you might want to do is contact support and send them your file. 

Please update us when you find out what could be the problem. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Dominic900 said:

Hi Angie,

Now I don't have home designer pro 2020 but the same thing happens when I import a drawing file from past versions into 2020 of architectural 2020 (which I have ) the rooms and lighting are dark. But when it is a new drawing no issues. When it imports the lighting data something goes wrong. But what you might want to do is contact support and send them your file. 

Please update us when you find out what could be the problem. Thanks. 

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for your reply. I did think that might be an issue so I started a new default plan. The pictures above are from a new drawing, not an import. 

I've gotten some great renders with PBR in 2020, so I documented the various default settings I changed to achieve my results. Hopefully one of these settings may help you.

I suspect that lowering the Sun Intensity may address your issue. I had to lower mine to 100 lux to get a good interior/exterior light balance.

Please see this post for details:

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/5020-physics-based-rendering-what-am-i-doing-wrong/?do=findComment&comment=26552

Let us know if that helped.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 4:57 AM, xJonQx said:

I've gotten some great renders with PBR in 2020, so I documented the various default settings I changed to achieve my results. Hopefully one of these settings may help you.

I suspect that lowering the Sun Intensity may address your issue. I had to lower mine to 100 lux to get a good interior/exterior light balance.

Please see this post for details:

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/5020-physics-based-rendering-what-am-i-doing-wrong/?do=findComment&comment=26552

Let us know if that helped.

Hi JonQ

Thank you for your reply. 

I have finally been able to get a decent rendering but its still not good enough for my liking 

Reducing the sunlight intensity only solves the problem in a room with windows. It makes F-all difference in a with no windows. How can it be a true physical based rendering when it doesn't take into account the actual light settings in the room?  (even when its set to "actual" light settings and not automatic)  

Paul 1.jpg

Hi Angie15,

Your rendering looks pretty good on my end. I am sorry that you are not happy with how things are not turning out with PBR rendering. I have added some pictures or renderings to help you out. Its a doctor office I am working on to get a feel for the software. Anyway if your not happy how things turned out you might give support a call or send them an email and ask why you are having these issues with rendering. Some on this forum are getting great results with PBR. I hope that things will work out for you.

Best,

office1lighta.jpg

office1lightb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 12:58 AM, Dominic900 said:

Hi Angie15,

Your rendering looks pretty good on my end. I am sorry that you are not happy with how things are not turning out with PBR rendering. I have added some pictures or renderings to help you out. Its a doctor office I am working on to get a feel for the software. Anyway if your not happy how things turned out you might give support a call or send them an email and ask why you are having these issues with rendering. Some on this forum are getting great results with PBR. I hope that things will work out for you.

Best,

office1lighta.jpg

office1lightb.jpg

Thank you Dominic, but that doesn't help me. To be honest, all the PBR renderings I've seen so far on this forum are actually pretty bad, I'm really struggling to understand how you could say they are great. They are all extremely dark and hazy.

How do I make a room bright and crisp, where the white walls and ceiling are actually white, not grey, or a weird alien shade of green or blue because of the backdrop?

Why is the software not using my interior light settings despite me setting it to such? Why does it make no difference when you set a light to 10 lumens or 5 billion lumens? 

Why when you use floor to ceiling windows or sliding doors, does the backdrop make my shiny steel blue and green, despite using a terrain? (this one REALLY irritates me!)

Its terrible and very poor attempt by CA and I have no idea what they were thinking but whoever was in charge of the production should be sacked. Its not a PBR, its a half-arsed lame attempt to keep up with the likes of sketchup and v-ray and they failed dismally. 

pic 1 - Same plan in standard view

pic 2 - Same plan in PBR (I want it brighter, whiter, and the blue wall gone. I cant for the life of me figure out why CA thought it was a good idea to reflect the backdrop!! wtf!)

pic 3 - a technical issue I keep having, where everything goes black and I have to exit the software, restart my computer and reload the plan. 

kitchen 2.jpg

kitchen 1.jpg

pbr.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:51 AM, Angie15 said:

Thank you Dominic, but that doesn't help me. To be honest, all the PBR renderings I've seen so far on this forum are actually pretty bad, I'm really struggling to understand how you could say they are great. They are all extremely dark and hazy.

How do I make a room bright and crisp, where the white walls and ceiling are actually white, not grey, or a weird alien shade of green or blue because of the backdrop?

Why is the software not using my interior light settings despite me setting it to such? Why does it make no difference when you set a light to 10 lumens or 5 billion lumens? 

Why when you use floor to ceiling windows or sliding doors, does the backdrop make my shiny steel blue and green, despite using a terrain? (this one REALLY irritates me!)

Its terrible and very poor attempt by CA and I have no idea what they were thinking but whoever was in charge of the production should be sacked. Its not a PBR, its a half-arsed lame attempt to keep up with the likes of sketchup and v-ray and they failed dismally. 

pic 1 - Same plan in standard view

pic 2 - Same plan in PBR (I want it brighter, whiter, and the blue wall gone. I cant for the life of me figure out why CA thought it was a good idea to reflect the backdrop!! wtf!)

pic 3 - a technical issue I keep having, where everything goes black and I have to exit the software, restart my computer and reload the plan. 

kitchen 2.jpg

kitchen 1.jpg

pbr.jpg

Hello Angie15,

I have included a rendering done with a program called Simlab composer 9.1 VR edition. Here's what I did to get the rendering, 

1. enter a 3d view with your camera in home designer 2020

2. open file menu, and choose export to DAE file. (a sketchup file)

3. open sketchup and import in your design in sketchup. 

4. place your design on screen next to your little man in sketchup. Click once with your mouse.

5. Save your design as a sketchup file.

6 then import your design into the trial version of simlab composer. Please do a google search for simlab composer for website information and pricing for simlab.

7. download simlab composer 9.1. and try it out.

I hope this helps,

Best,

kitchenlongshot3.jpg