Materials List Question

TominOhio

I’m having an issue with a material list in Home Designer Architectural 2019.  I have an existing house design that has lap siding on the exterior.  I would like to look at the possibility of changing it to a brick exterior.  When I drew the initial layout of our house, I had the default set at Siding-6.  I changed the exterior of the house by going to the library and selecting the brick I wanted to use.  I made sure the material painter for the entire plan was selected and clicked on an exterior wall in perspective view.  All the exterior walls were changed to the brick I selected, which is what I would expect.  When I generated a materials list from the plan view (“Calculate materials for all floors”), the siding shows as lap siding, not brick.  According to the reference manual, “A Materials List is like a snapshot of the current plan at the time that the list is made” (pg 586).  I fully expected to see the brick show up in the materials list, but instead the lap siding still shows.  I know if I start with brick as the default material, brick will show up in the materials list, but this would require me to redraw the entire house outline with correct dimensions again.  My question is:

What is the best way to get the materials list to show the exterior material in the plan at the time the list is generated?

Thanks,

Tom

All you did is paint the siding with a brick texture, you did not change the material.

Change the Siding-6 wall to have brick instead of siding, or select your exterior walls and change them to Brick-6 (or whatever brick wall you want).

If I change the Siding-6 to brick, do I have to do each wall individually?  If I change the Siding-6 to brick in the default settings, it doesn't appear to change any existing walls, only future walls that are drawn.  Is there a simple way to change the entire exterior of a house and see it reflected in the materials list without redrawing walls?

Eric, thanks for your response.  I apologize for my ignorance, but if I select multiple walls in any view, I don't seem to have the ability to open the wall specification dialog box to change the material.

1.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?

2.  If you were trying to do this in Architectural, would you do it in plan view or in 3D?

Thanks, Tom

4 minutes ago, TominOhio said:

but if I select multiple walls in any view, I don't seem to have the ability to open the wall specification dialog box to change the material

I bet that's a limitation of all titles except Pro -- sorry for the misinformation.

You seem to be stuck with doing 1 wall at a time.

Back to your original question.

1 hour ago, TominOhio said:

I would like to look at the possibility of changing it to a brick exterior.

What does the material list have to do with this? The amount of brick and siding will almost be the same. You will need a bit more concrete to form a brick ledge.

In any case, I would supply your contractor drawings to bid from, and not rely on the materials list.

Yeah, I wondered if that was something that could only be done in Pro.  I can do it one wall at a time.  I want the materials list to be accurate.  Also, some brick prices are per 1000.  As an engineer, I'm able to do the math to convert to square feet, but I just thought it would be nice if the materials list was accurate for the design.

Thanks for your help!

Tom