garage with floor above

italianward

I am creating a new house plan with an attached garage.  The garage will have a floor above, but not the house.  The house will be approximately 24 inches above grade with a 48 inch overall crawl space below.  The garage floor will be on grade.  I just can not figure out how to make the elevations correct when shown on the perspective full overview.  HELP?

Terrain (virtual grade) was added around 18 years ago but it, at that time was an add-on to the already existing basic application. So you always adjust the terrain (grade) to the structures by way of terrain elevation objects and the "Building Pad" input that allows to raise or lower just the terrain model relative to the floor zero of the structure. In the case of multiple structures in the same plan file you then have to adjust the detached garage floor and ceiling heights relative to the floor and ceiling heights of the main structure or house. Garages are generally lower, floor height wise to a house. It makes the job a little more complicated but I have done it countless times. In order to have a second floor over the garage, you would need to create a second floor for the whole plan but just make it a "Blank Second Floor" and then draw the second floor walls manually, using the "Reference Display" to help guide where to draw the walls. You do it manually because that "Create New Floor" command if done automatically will try to build a second floor not only over the garage but also the house as well, so do not go there.

DJP