Home Designer - covered patio abilities

long88

I have a copy of Home Designer from 2005.  I used it back then to design the home we have built and been living in the last 10 years.  I don't even know if it will install but I am considering using it or upgrading (if necessary).  I was able at that time to design my house just like we built it, including furniture and all with no problem but I never could get a roof on it the way I needed so we took the plans to someone and had the roof designed and drawn up for the builder.

Now I would like to put in my existing patio and the end of the house that it is attached to (the current physical structures).  Then I would like to play around with some different roof ideas that I have for covering the patio.  The existing patio is round except on the side where it attaches to the house.  There is a tree off center that we built around.  We have some fabric shad cloth covers but want to build a sold patio cover connected to the side of the house because of the messy tree.  We intend to build around the tree and put in some area of the roof of some type of transparent material. 

My question is as Home Designer improved the options and capabilities of putting on a roof in the newest version (compared to 2005 version)?  Some of the issue could have been my understanding of how to make it do what I wanted also.

I have some pictures I am attaching.  My current patio is attached and then a few roof ideas that I would like to play around with (a gazebo or vaulted type roof but tied in to the side of the house or a 1/2 gazebo (octagonal) type roof coming out of the side of house, also a roof that comes off the side of the house flat but is curved on one end) The last pic is a dollhouse and I would like to be able to make a roof similar to it.  What I mean is if you look at the pic of my house on the right corner there is a low shed roof coming around the corner of the house that I could extend and tie in to the cable over the triple french doors.  Then put a full gazebo or octagaonal vaulted roof over the patio and have it connect to that roof.  The dollhouse pic is close to what I mean except the corner gazebo in the dollhouse would be large and over my patio.  I hope I make sense.

If Home Designer is not the right software tool for my only project can someone suggest a free or relatively inexpensive software program that I can use for this project? Also, I am not a newbie to software like Home Designer but I am not highly skilled at either and would like something that is fairly intuitive.

Thank you!

20180111_131328.jpg

tree through patio roof.jpg

flat circular roof.jpg

gazebo roof.jpg

dollhouse.jpg

I'd suggest calling or emailing sales to see what an upgrade would do for you and how much it would cost.

Also to find out if you could use your older version with your current OS, and if a newer version would be able to open and use your plan.

They have trial versions too, so downloading and trying yourself is also an option.

All the current titles except Pro have the same, somewhat limited roof tools, but should do what you want.

I started with the software in 2014, so cannot speak about anything prior to that.