"Tippy up" roof problems

Samuda

I'm trying to create a roof (which I don't know the technical term for unfortunately) and really struggling.  I've attached our architect's plans which show the two elevations which help it make sense, plus my normal roofed version made on Home Designer Pro.  I've watched every "roof" related video in the tutorials and I have drawn an absolute blank on how the dickens to create it.  This is the first design software I've ever used so please hit me with even the most basic thing that I've overlooked or are simply being stupid with!  I can't even work out how to link the plan so that you can look at the ins and outs like I've seen other people do on the forum.  Any help will be extremely gratefully received.

Kind regards

Anita

6107 035C Sth Elev.pdf

6107 036A E Elev.pdf

Samuda_3d_without_lifted_roof.png

That's totally it!! :-) I should have said that the elevations show the existing house and the extension with the tippy up roof and the roof plan is just for the tippy roofed extension as the existing house already has a normal flat/shed roof. 

How did you create it?  I'm delighted to know that it's doable! Thank you.

1 hour ago, Samuda said:

I can't even work out how to link the plan

Close Pro. Then attach the plan file like you did the other attachments.

10 minutes ago, Samuda said:

How did you create it? 

Are you comfortable with the manual roof tools? This is a fairly simple roof to draw manually, and I'm not sure how to do it easily with the automatic roof builder.

Hi Eric

I've been using the manual roof tools but clearly not properly as I had ended up with a myriad of weird and wonderful looking roofs that were nothing like what I was after.  I had been creating a shed roof using full gables and high gables which is obviously wrong as none of your walls were set as such.  If you can explain in an idiot proof fashion then I'll gladly follow your lead.  Alternatively, I can re-draw the main plan with the existing house and then the extension built on, like it will be in real life, to divide the regular shed roof from the tippy one and then come back to you?

Thank you so much for your guidance; I was floundering!

Anita

Draw the flat roof, setting the overhangs on each side.

Make sure the pitch is correct.

r1.thumb.jpg.714770ef6786ea6deb702fc76fc986b5.jpg

Draw a diagonal line from one corner to the other. Open the line and copy the angle.

r2.thumb.jpg.76660c43df397b195944bcd76eed95d1.jpg

Open the Defaults, and under Plan, add this angle -- one negative and one positive value.

r3.thumb.jpg.c9494652f71a7b37f573bd7b7a0c466d.jpg

Take one corner of the roof and form it into a triangle.

r4.thumb.jpg.e96c86b292633af35fafb75b67dfced0.jpg

Draw the tippy up roof starting along the edge of the flat roof and going towards the outside of the house. Use the handles to reshape it into a triangle, snapping the corners to the corners of the flat roof.

Set the pitch.

Join the two roof planes in the middle.

Check in a 3D view.

r5.jpgr6.jpg

Eric, you are wonderful, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of that.  I'm off to bed now (in England) but I'll try all of that tomorrow after work.  I really appreciate your help; you've taught me a huge amount!

Merry Christmas

Anita x

Hi Eric

I hope you've had a lovely Christmas!  I'm nearly there but am struggling to get the two separate roof planes to snap together.  The tippy up bit begins lower down than the main part of the roof at the front but higher up at the back and I can't quite fathom out why.  I've tried changing the ridge and baseline heights etc.  Could you please let me know where I'm going wrong?

Very many thanks

Anita

Nearly right bar roof.plan

Because the main roof is not flat, you need to tilt the baseline of the tipped up part. Look at the bottom of the roof plane dialog -- (I think Pro has this).

ht1.thumb.jpg.bfd1a9133225802c50b3c3c5c77b0686.jpg

It looks like -4.5 (or something close) degrees works. I imagine there is a formula to compute this angle, but I did it by guessing.

Draw the roof plane at an angle along the cad line. Change the baseline angle. Raise the roof plane using Transform/Replicate (Z axis).

Join the 2 roof planes with the join command.

Expect this to be a bit of trial and error. If it does not line up as you want, undo and make a change to the baseline angle.

Nearly right bar roof (Eric).zip

That's worked a treat!! Thank you ever so much! :-)  Last thing, I promise......do you know why the upstairs window beneath the tippy up roof has disappeared and been replaced with wall even though it shows as window on the plan?  When I look at the framing overview, there is frame across the window.  I thought it may have been because the roof had dropped too low and that when I sorted out the baseline height of the roof plane that it would miraculously re-appear; but it hasn't :-(

I was just getting to that.

If you turn on Reference Display (F9), you will see the upper and lower walls are not aligned. 

Is this the way the house is built? If not align them -- get close then use the Align With Wall Below (or Align With Wall Above) tool.

ht1.thumb.jpg.1376c54e1214e0932586184db5b533fd.jpg

Fantastic! Thank you! It's easy when you know how!  I must have tweaked a dimension or two after building upstairs as a derivative of the ground floor.  That makes perfect sense, thank you.  I really am extremely grateful for all of your help.

Best regards

Anita