Importing dxf and terrain data

Lightspeed65

I have a dxf file with plot boundary data, and a .nez file with elevation/terrain data.   I want to import them and rotate them so that the house sits on the lot properly while also being oriented the correct way (e.g. perpendicular walls are at 0 and 90 degrees to the computer screen.)   There are a lot of options for importing this data (e.g. for dxf files, I could select "move drawing to origin" etc.)  Should I import it all, then move it to some origin point, or should I simply import both sets of data, rotate it the proper amount, then start building the house?  Is there any reference material that can walk me through this?  Thanks, Dave.

I have used DFX files for terrain but I just import the file and then convert the topo lines to 3D topo lines in Home Designer. I do not know what a .nez file is so on that question I claim ignorance.

You NEVER rotate the structure from its native screen "north-south" orientation. What you do is to rotate the topo elevation data and terrain plane and orientate that to the house.

I have been using Chief and Home Designer titles since 1994 and I have never successfully imported any GPS data to create a modulated terrain plane. What I did run into is that such data can be so complex in nature that the resultant 3D object (terrain plane) is too complex for anything but a super computer to display in camera views (it is composed of too many 3D faces- Terrain is displayed as 3D triangle faces, that is what I am calling a 3D face). 

How I do terrain from GPS or a topographical map is to import the graphic terrain map as a .dxf file (usually from a surveyor or Architect done in AutoCAD) or an image file showing terrain elevation lines and splines after scaling it in the software. I NEVER USE POINTS because they create too many 3D faces (see above) and are hard to locate and edit after the fact (they are points and so are very tiny visually).

DJP

David, thanks for the reply.  I hear you on the house rotation, so thanks for emphasizing the importance of that.  the .nex seems to simply be a spreadsheet ala excel with the terrain data ordered in an yxz comma delimited format.  Not sure why they do yxz, but that's the way they roll.  Dave.

"X,Y &Z" is how particles or 3D faces become parsed (located in virtual space) within a 3D CAD program. "X" values are determined from an arbitrary "Zero point", positive "X" values locate a point to the "right" and negative values locate to the "left". "Y" points locate points or particles up screen with positive values and down screen (in plan views) re quire negative "Y" values. Lastly "Z" values define locations of points above and below an arbitrary zero point in terms of 3D height, negative "Z" values define points below "Zero". This is how 3D points are expressed within computer 3D software and apply generally to Home Designers 3D nature and to how Terrain objects are expressed by way of "Elevation Objects". The main arbitrary within a structure is the fixed "Floor Height expressed by the first  floor's "Zero" floor height. Terrain's highs and lows are expressed within itself-to itself and then aligned to the 3D model of the structure by way of the "Building Pad" input box found in the "Terrain Specification Dialog Box", raising or lowing the terrain plane to the house's first floor "Zero" level.

DJP