Importing DXF or XYZ terrain data

Lightspeed65

When importing dxf files (.dxf file type) or terrain data (.nex file type) should they be rotated to align to the house, or rotate the house to align to the file data?  By rotate I mean align the North data sets of both the .plan file and the dxf and/or nex file.  I have tried it both ways, and when I rotate the house (including all the objects I can capture with "select objects" it seems to lose material choices, pieces of wall, etc.  In other words, I don't trust the idea of rotating the whole house.  Similar things happened even when I translated the house, with no rotation.  Am I doing something wrong, or am I better leaving the house alone and rotating the imported data?

DJP is the best source for this type of info, but I'll make 2 suggestions.

Edit>Edit Area is the best way to rotate an entire structure.

Working with the structure square to the screen (or sheet of paper, if you prefer) is much easier than dealing with angles.

This has been discussed multiple times, so a forum search should locate more. Look for plot plan.

Eric, OK, thanks again for the much appreciated assistance.  I have searched the forum before posting questions but I had not thought to use the target phrase "plot plan."  The Edit Area suggestion is new as well, so thanks very much for that!  Dave.

Eric, the edit area produced way better results; no loss of confusion of geometry, most wall materials came with the transformation, but not all.  Much better than the way I was doing it.  However, I do agree that the drawing geometry should stay in its normal position relative to screen and I should rotate the imported data to suit, so will work on that next.  Thanks, Dave.