Using edit area?

chiefhal

Go to solution Solved by chiefhal,

HDP15. I have a very simple kitchen plan showing only walls, one pocket door, one window and two dimensions. Using edit area I'm drawing a shaded rectangle around my kitchen. I then hit edit - copy. I then display my new layout and hit edit paste and I end up with the layout very small inside the floor plan. Help please.

It is unclear exactly what you hope to achieve by doing what you are doing. Edit Area is for the use of moving-rotating, copying or deleting an existing area that is within the "Marquee Selection" area of that tool.

Using any tool you are unfamiliar with should be done with a copy of your plan in case things go "South" so you can begin again without loss. 

Practice is essential in terms of learning new tools and actions but should be done conservatively so such adventures do not become undo punishment.

The edit area tool does not set aside the basic rule that "two solid objects cannot occupy the same exact X,Y Z location or space" when this is done then something is lost by the action.

The tool (edit area)  is mostly used for duplicating a series of similar constructs like apartment blocks or duplexes, copying one floor to the next stacking them vertically for an apartment building etc.

What were you trying to do and what did you expect to happen by using that tool, I wonder?

DJP

Chiefhal has started a new thread for some reason David , this is part of this thread  (below) .............  he was trying to print just part of his kitchen and following my advice.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/256-select-and-create-new-plan-sheet/#entry1309

However , Chiefhal you are not following the instructions...... you need to paste the "Edit" into a new plan ,(not to layout)  and from there "SEND to LAYOUT"  at the correct /desired scale. eg 1/2" = 1'.

Perhaps David has a better Idea/method ?

M.

David's video is a good reference to look at particularly if you have never used Layout Sheets before . Layouts are a HD Pro only feature though, so those of you with other titles have to use what HD calls Plan sheets , see this Tutorial : http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00485/192/Home-Designer/Layouts/Creating-Plan-Sheets.html

The reason I suggested using Edit>Area and pasting into a new Plan is that HD Pro only allows ONE layout sheet to be associated with a .Plan file at any one time....( not a limitation in Chief Premier) ie as David also mentioned , it will only auto-update the CURRENT Layout file if / as you make changes . Once you have a Layout File associated with the Plan (save it in the same folder as the Plan) , Pro will auto open the same File each time , so if you have already sent the Site plan. floor plan , 4 elevations etc to that one page, it is gonna be pretty full already,so if you want to start sending things like just the Kitchen or Bathroom to layouts too you need to get creative. Most Construction Docs (CDs) these days are 12-15 pages long with the required pages for Permitting , so you need to use multiple versions of your Plan if you want Auto Updating Layouts associated with them.

You can of course make your CD's one Layout page at a time , but if you make changes you have to got back to each layout sheet and make manual updates, so your file management skills will need to be able to keep up. Having multiple Plans also has it pitfalls ,so you need to separate Areas or Floors etc and only update things in the Correct plan, IF you need Layout Sheets?

it is probably best to leave the Layouts to the end of you planning process ,so you are done Drawing more or less , until then you can print to scale etc at any time from most Views so you don't need to send to Layout early in the "Design Phase" usually and may find you Don't need Layouts at all.

David may have more advise about how to handle this too ? not sure if newer versions have different features or not?

Mick.