Ideas please

rfcomm2k

In the attached floorplan I have everything just the way I want it. But I just noticed that there is a roof problem I did not expect.

As you look at the front entry, to the right of it is a wing that is only one story high, and the way the roof lays, there is an area where the roof traps rain/snow against the second story wall (next to the second floor family room).

I just do not know how to solve this. For reasons to lengthy to explain herein the floorplan needs to remain as it is. What needs to change is the roof on that side. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Robert,

I'm not a professional architect, so take my suggestions for what they're worth ... since I'm not charging you for them, I guess you know what that means. :)

(with reference to viewing the front door) Consider mirroring the cross-ridge roof on the left over to the right, thus transferring the valley to the back 2nd story wall.  Then add a new shallow shed roof plane below the window to direct runoff toward the outside of the building envelope.  I'm not sure this will solve your egress problem, as the resulting access space to the window may be too crowded.  You may need to consider changing the layout of the one suite so that the egress window is on the exterior of the building envelope.  Maybe consider rotating the bathroom and closet counterclockwise and against the separator wall between the two bedrooms, so that both the bathroom window and the room egress window can be on the (plan) east wall.

post-251-0-53945700-1472778314_thumb.png

Good luck. :)

For reasons to lengthy to explain herein the floorplan needs to remain as it is. What needs to change is the roof on that side.

That's unfortunate, because it, in my opinion, needs lots of work.

It looks like this is being built in Alaska. Suggest you rethink the entire plan considering snow and darkness, the apartment above, bathrooms in the resident rooms -- they need doors that open out, for example. Bedroom windows need to meet egress requirements. 

The exterior looks more like an office building than a home. Maybe something that looks less institutional? 

How about stairs to the apartment in the rear instead of front, and a private entrance for access to the upstairs.

Change Suite 4 so there are windows in the living area.

And so on.

That's unfortunate, because it, in my opinion, needs lots of work.

It looks like this is being built in Alaska. Suggest you rethink the entire plan considering snow and darkness, the apartment above, bathrooms in the resident rooms -- they need doors that open out, for example. Bedroom windows need to meet egress requirements. 

The exterior looks more like an office building than a home. Maybe something that looks less institutional? 

How about stairs to the apartment in the rear instead of front, and a private entrance for access to the upstairs.

Change Suite 4 so there are windows in the living area.

And so on.

Eric, are you psychic? How on earth did you guess that it was being designed for AK? Maybe from the notes pasted on the drawing? LOL

I am not a certified architect either, but I have had some education in the field before the cost of that education became more than I could bear and I had to switch careers. I have made it clear to the clients that I am not certified and that they would have to take the plans to an architect to get them to check them before going for a building permit, etc.

Good catch on the resident room bathrooms. I guess for wheelchair access they should open out.

I agree about the exterior look. IDK what I can do to change that. Client specified the sq ft per unit, and I was trying to provide equal access to the common room. My first draft of it actually impressed them.

One thing they asked for was to avoid placing any of the managers suite (upstairs) above the units, especially above the bedroom area. I had that accomplished until I saw the roof valley dumping snow and rain right up against the side wall of second floor.

I made a change last night by dragging the right side wall of second floor fam room/stairwell further to the right. It now rests about halfway across the living rooms of suites 4 & 5. That remedied the roof issue, but it does add more height and floor space, which equates to higher construction cost.

There is a lot limitation also. Size is 130 x 140 on a corner. 10' setbacks by local code.

I will change the stair design around to see how that fits in.

I appreciate the feedback.