Bathroom design

Partsman41953

Hello,

My wife and I have a 2 story home with 2 full bathrooms upstairs. The hall bathroom has a tub with a shower combo. Our master bath has a separate shower and bath tub. I was thinking of removing the bathtub in the master so I could extend the shower. For resale purposes do we need to have both bathtubs or could I remove the one in the master.

Thanks.

Well if you looking for an answer as in which will bring you the most value I can tell you as a Commercial Real Estate Appraiser and Residential Appraiser that as long as the bathroom contains three fixtures its considered a full bath.  Value will be derived by the ready willing and able buyer and the ready and willing able seller to comunsurate a properly executed contract for sale.  If your improving the bathroom for the sole purpose of a higher value it can work and it also can back fire.  At times property owners are advised to with update or change the flooring to make the property more marketable.  Its hard to know what the buyer is looking for and your choice might not be what they actually want.  I have seen properties where new hardwood flooring installed only to be removed by the buyer. 

So for resale purposes i would not go through the expense but provide an allowance towards the modification if necessary.

JMHO

• 10 months later...

Todays, most of the homeowners are approaching different bathroom layouts, especially when it comes to the master bathroom. Like last month I had renovated my master bathroom. I had removed my bathtub and I had installed a walk-in shower, which has proven to be a major selling point for folks who want to spend their golden years for a longer time. Getting in contact with the professional walk in bathtubs Yakima, which was suggested by my husband, helped me to choose the perfect design that enhances the way my bathroom looks. In the other bathroom, I had installed a bathtub for my kids to play.

If you are extending your shower to get more space for comfort, and you had planned to live in the house for some time, you will get a good return on your investment.

• 2 months later...