4ndrew

L-Shaped Stairs?

I have a sunken living room that has a stair that is L-Shaped in one corner. When I try to create a stair on each wall and have them meet, the longer one (longer to meet the wall) creates odd triangle-shaped geometry on the wall it meets...

How can I do this?

post-1629-0-38316800-1448631069_thumb.png

That looks like a step, not a stair, so use a Landing instead of a Stair.

Hi Eric-

I actually tried that... how do I shape it like an L?

Also, it kept creating balusters/railings...

thx

Andrew

I forgot to include the following. There is a Knowledge Base Article on landings that will explain. 

You can use 2 landings -- think of them as just steps, or you can draw one large landing and shape it.

--------

It helps if we know what title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2014, 2015 etc) you are using. You can add this info to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click My Settings, then Signature on the left. 

If you will post images and/or the plan file, that will help as well. Make sure it's closed in Home Designer first. You can zip it if it is to big to post.

Resources for self help:

I probably would model that step using one or more slabs.  If you want a nosing on the step tread, then model the tread using either a soffit or custom countertop.  Think that the step is similar to the soffits that surround a tray ceiling, only they're on the floor.

Edit to add in link:

See the below-linked thread for an approach to your step challenge:

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/137-tray-and-vaulted-ceilings-and-wall-affects/#entry712

Actually,  I redrew the steps and it worked fine... only issue would be the wood join along the 45 where the steps meet.