Brand new to this software and very frustrated

johnteas

I know I will come off as very inept. But at this point I don't care. I have spent hours trying to start a simple landscape project and am stumped right off the bat. First thing to do is set terrain perimeters but when I go to "Terrain" and the go to "Create Terrain Perimeter" it is grayed out. I have spent hours reading and watching tutorials and have found nothing to tell me what simple step I have missed. So please, if you can help me get through this I would greatly appreciate it.

Are you trying to create a terrain plane object on the first floor ( <1>) or some other floor?

If you have already created one then the command would be greyed out as well, check and see please.

What program title and version are you using please?

DJP

normally it is only greyed out IF you have already created one , is what David meant , it's possible you are zoomed in too far or too far out to see it but it is normally 50 x150 ft ? or something when 1st created.

Try the Perspective Overview camera and see if you can see Grass anywhere.... or

Click  the Fill Window Icon and see if the Terrain Plane comes into view......  it will just look like a rectangular box with a green dotted outline  in Plan View....  in a Full Camera view or Perspective overview you will get the full 3D with a grassy rectangle. 

Mick.

Thanks Mick and David. I have been at it for 11 hours and have nothing to show for it. Just not very intuitive. Adobe Photoshop is a walk in the park compared to this software, or I am just really dumb at it. I did finally get the perimeter created. Then I tried to add a small retaining wall. Then tried to get a view of it and got lost. Having trouble seeing measurements as the are VERY small. there are no scroll bars on side or bottom to adjust the view. If I zoom in to see a measurement detail the project goes partially off screen and can't scroll to the location with the measurement. I could have drawn out this platt to scale in less than an hour, as is I have not even gathered hardly any knowledge. I have skipped a couple meals so that is good for the waste line. I am using Mac just so you know. Let go look at 3D full view. I have to have the platt done by noon tomorrow so I guess I will go back to pencil and paper.

have a look in the online help or download the Reference Manual (Help> download ref. Man. PDF) and look at how to change the dimensions sizes . But briefly Edit>defaults>dimensions>Manual or Temporary

Until you learn to place the cameras ,always start with the Perspective Overview , then move in with the zoom in button or arrow keys , even it can get confused sometimes and all distorted , so I just close the window and start again. You can also use the fill window button in camera views too which will sometimes "fix" the view and bring you back on subject but depending on size of plot you maybe well back from a retaining wall.

In the 3D>3D Setting> Options Menu there is (was?) an option to turn scrollbars on and off in different views but I read someone's else comment that on MAC they are off. I thought on Mac they appeared when you put your mouse over them though?

There is ALOT of reading to do , the manual is invaluable , have the Ref. Manual open at the terrain section and refer to it constantly , and watch the Terrain Videos to get the basics...

No worries ask away :) I am not a big terrain guy , nor have 2015 , or a Mac but if I can help ?

You are of course jumping in at the Deep end with Terrain, (hence Manual reading is needed) but if you think PS is a doddle you'll get it :)

edit:

Some advice I see on the CA Forums about Terrain ( not in manual) is to always leave the Terrain Perimeter (TP) with parallel sides , or weird things can happen with your Contour lines and to make the TP wider and longer than your Real World Plot eg as if you were drawing in your neighbour's Plots too , this aids in Camera views in particular so you don't see the "Edge of the World".

You can always draw your Property Lines (PL) on the TP with CAD Lines in Plan View so you can place Items accurately and even a square basic house , (4 walls) , so you have something to reference/measure off too.

M.

"Intuitive" is a very subjective term by itself. This software is controlled by the precise selection and combination of settings, input box values and procedures well understood and followed.

People often mean intuitive to be "able to get results by guessing instead of study followed by practice", You know what you mean but in my own expreience the competence I have with this software was gained only by applied, careful study followed by applied practice of what I studied as well as looking out for terms and nomenclature I was unfamiliar with and once spotting those words, getting them well defined and understood (if you do not understand the words, you will not be able to get the needed-wanted results of any study or activity).

This is ofcourse a forum for gaining help but the first line of help is built into your software under the "Help" menu where you can find and read the Reference Manual, search the Help Files, locate and watch video tutorials. Another great resource is the "Knowledge Base" located at the Home Designer Webate under the "Support" dropdown menu where you can search for useful articles in the large Knowledge Base.

All of the various titles and versions of Home Designer software (Pro, Architectural, Suite, Essentials, Interior Designer) are similar in function but different in abilites, one to another. So it is useful to know when posting which of those five you have and its general version number, otherwise you might get an answer that applies only to Pro but not to Suite etc.

DJP

• Downvote 2

Good point. I am using Suite 2015. And yes, I found out that it is important to study from the correct manual and watch the correct videos for the particular title. I finally made my plat in WORD .docx in about an hour. For now that is all I needed and it had to be submitted this morning. Someday I will find the days it will take to learn how to be productive with this software. But for now, I will go back to my old Punch software that I have used on my last house builds. Thanks all for the help on this forum.