Door casing bug on swing doors?

DaveRegis

Go to solution Solved by solver,

This was observed using HD Pro 2025

I just stumbled across an odd behavior (bug?) -- inconsistent casing controls between door types.

The scenario is door connecting an indoor room type to a patio:

A sliding door will have separate control of door casings for interior and exterior, but a swing door will only have controls for the interior casing.   It's like for swing doors, it's considering a patio to be an indoor space.

In my particular case, there are casings around the interior side of doors, but not the exterior.  To work-around this, I have to construct casings (using 3D shapes) to the interior swing doors that open onto patios  :wacko:

Posted (edited)

Erm ... in the process of creating a simple plan to illustrate the issue, I determined what I'm seeing can happen.   Here's what I see happening:

• Create a simple two room structure and define the rooms as some interior space (bedroom, great, etc)
  • Add a door (slider or hinged) connecting the two rooms
  • Observe that the door only has interior casing controls -- both sides of the doors are considered to be interior

The above is all good!  Now...

• Change one of the spaces to patio
  • Examine the door and observe the casing controls are only enabled for interior spaces

That's what I'm seeing because as I was creating the space, I'd added the hinged/swing door before setting the room type for the porch.  The slider was added after, so it has both interior and exterior case options enabled.

NOTE: the edit dialog title inidicates "Interior Door" or "Exterior Door" denoting the sub-type, but I don't see anyway to change that.

So, the moral of the story is only add doors after defining the room types if one side might be considered an outdoor space :)

As a bonus, if you have two interior spaces where you want independent casing controls, simply temporarily define room one as an outdoor space, place your doors, then change the room back to the interior room-type -- the doors will now have separate interior and exterior casing controls.

Edited by DaveRegis
added a note

• Solution
1 hour ago, DaveRegis said:

This was observed using HD Pro 2025

Please update your signature to 2025.

I was writing before you posted your follow up, but I'll add this.

The program changed recently to maintain door types when room types change. Before, it would automatically switch door types (interior/exterior) when one room was changed from/to interior/exterior.

The first image shows a setting that gives you control over both sides on an interior door.

ht1.thumb.png.e0b4ff1a2a88be132c15581a8f51412b.pnght2.thumb.png.7f3a5915937f4ffa35760d59e6762b5a.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rookie65 said:

Most times, a patio is an exterior space, and would have an exterior wall leading to it.  If you open the door, does the dbx give you an option to "separate trim on interior and exterior?" 

It does -- and that was the root issue for me.   I'd placed the door before I'd defined the patio as patio, so the door was spec'ed as "Interior Door".

My fix was to remove the errant "Interior Door" and place a new door.  Doing that way, the door was properly attributed as an "Exterior Door".

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Please update your signature to 2025.

I was writing before you posted your follow up, but I'll add this.

The program changed recently to maintain door types when room types change. Before, it would automatically switch door types (interior/exterior) when one room was changed from/to interior/exterior.

The first image shows a setting that gives you control over both sides on an interior door.

Thanks for the tip -- I somehow didn't see that additional option you'd pointed out.   

Regarding my signature, I've already updated it but it seems to be carrying my old signature thru this thread.

Again, thanks!