Is there any advantage to one of these methods over the other of getting paint onto interior walls?

pjdaly

To have paint on an interior-6 wall (for example) which has Drywall as the Interior Wall Surface, you can do it several ways.

I don't find any discussion of advantages of one way or another. 

(1) This video by Home Designer simply shows replacing the Material Drywall in the wall with the Material color-Strawberry 

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00071/changing-the-color-or-material-of-a-single-wall-in-home-designer.html

(2) You can also clone Drywall and create your own Strawberry-colored Drywall Material and replace the default material "Drywall" with your pre-colored version.

(3) Yet another way is to put a zero-thickness "paint" layer in front of the wall's Interior Wall Surface to receive paint and then spray (or edit) it room by room with your different room colors.

Even the method of getting the Interior Wall Surface changed into your colored Drywall (or having a zero-thick paint layer in front of the library Drywall) can be varied:

You can create your own pre-defined wall type that incorporates your colored Drywall material (or add a zero thick paint layer) and use it in a wall. 

For example, you can clone interior-6 as "interior-6-Drywall-Strawberry" and then replace Drywall with Drywall-Strawberry.

And you can set your defaults to have interior walls drawn using your default Strawberry wall (or your zero-thick paint layer) if you want.

The distinction between swapping out Drywall material with a colored material -vs- changing the color of an added zero-thick "paint" layer

seems to be more of a conceptual difference than a practical one since the HD video does the simple material change (replacing Drywall with a color).. 

Perhaps there are inventory concerns with one way vs another. 

• Downvote 1

Okay, so I spent a lot of time figuring out how do to all these painting methods on my own without asking for any help.  

I've seen them done by others.  

What I don't know if there are any advantage with doing it one way or another because I can find no discussion of methods. 

So I asked that question and got a downvote.  

What am I doing wrong by asking this question?  

I prefer to just keep wall defs as they are without paint as some rooms you may not want to paint and no reason to have a bunhc of duplicate wall defs with just different colors.

Then draw house and set a default wall color.

Then if I want a room different color I just click on room and open dialogue and then go to materials tab and change color of wall to what ever paint color I want.

Another way is in 3d views to use the spray paint gun tool and you can paint just that wall, or room or every wall like that one on that floor.

I agree about not wanting to have a bunch of duplicate walls types that differ only in color of pre-colored wallboard. 

I saw a Youtube video about doing that so apparently that's one way that people do this.

(Note: it's a tad awkward on a Mac which brings in Apple's color picker into play and it applies color profile changes if you're not paying attention) 

I kind of like the practice of making one wall definition with a zero-thick paint layer in front (another way I've seen done).  

You can also make color some default wall color if you want.   I did this on a few rooms and used it the initial color "Primer"

Then spray (or edit) the paint layer in the wall of individual rooms to be some color material (like Strawberry in this example).

It seems....

changing the "Interior Wall Surface" from 1/2 inch Drywall material to a 1/2 inch of some color material

-vs- 

changing the "Interior Wall Surface" from 0 inch "paint layer" (primer or "main" color) to 0 inch paint of some room's color

appears to be a conceptual difference but the latter appeals to me as better emulating painting a room.  

I may well turn out that doing it whatever way you want to do is sufficient but I was just looking for advice against particular ways

of doing this in case others ran into some unforeseen problem with that method.

Thanks for the reply.