Placing Shed dormer Cheek walls on gable end wall

Ezevans

I am unable to locate my shed dormer's cheek walls directly above the gable end walls of the same floor. Although people often make dormers smaller than the length of the building I am really just building a salt box that is made to look look smaller by the small bit of roofline running down the cheek wall.  This is typical In my area.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 1.45.17 PM.png

You might try drawing them manually 

My house is very similar to what you describe:

- The rear dormer has one side flush with the gable end wall and one flush with the rear wall.

The difference with yours is mine has one cheek is abutting the 12 pitch main roof rather than the other gable end. 

- The front dormer is inset on three sides.  

I ended up drawing them without using the dormer dialog because they are just too complicated, for example:   

- Both dormers have two rooms: one with a flat ceiling and one with a half-cathedral ceiling.

- The "Window Bedroom" in the front dormer has a wall shared with an Open Below to the dining room.  

- The window bedroom and dining room have a shared 30" wide flat ceiling at the top of the cathedral that spans the wall between them and the dining room half  extends into "Hi Hall" then drops to a flat height that is shared by the twin and Queen bedroom. 

The vestige of main roof on the back of the house is a fake detail on my actual house whereas in my drawing it's actually a strip of the rear main roof's roof plane.

My house has a fake gable barge board (45 degrees) on the flush-cheek rear dormer to emulate the missing gable end. 

I haven't found a good way (yet) to draw in a fake one like it on the plan but there's other things to be done first. 

Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 16.02.13.png

IMG_2165.jpeg

• Like 1