Settings for interior sheetrock-sheetrock dimensions

CDR_Design

I am new to Home Designer Suite 2024. I will mostly be using interior sheetrock to sheetrock dimensions. I have been playing around with the settings and don't even know how I achieved these 2 different interior dimensions. Questions: 1) Is the 5'4" framing to framing and the 5'3" sheetrock to sheetrock? 2) How do I set up defaults to ensure I am getting interior dimensions sheetrock to sheetrock? Thanks so much in advance!

chief.png

Hello CDR_Design,

You can find the locate wall settings in Edit->Default Settings->Dimension. Just change the Locate Wall Dimensions At option to Surface. Bear in mind that this option only affects Auto Exterior dimensions and dimensions created using the Manual Dimension tool.

You can find more specific info about dimension settings in the following resource:

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00491/changing-your-dimension-settings.html

Regarding your attached image, if you zoom in on the ends of the dimension lines, you can see exactly which layers the dimension is locating to.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Roy

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that feedback! Appreciate the patience, Roy James. 

SEEING EXACTLY WHICH LAYERS THE DIMENSION IS LOCATING TO: Yep, I assumed that was the drywall (surface layer) that the smaller dimension was locating to, but have used several rendering apps and I no longer assume anything). 

CHANGING DEFAULT OPTION TO "SURFACE". Thanks for those directions. I did previously research this and had the settings on "surface". But, you are saying that for interior, I can use only the manual dimension tool to mark dimensions "surface to surface"? (Doesn't make sense that I wouldn't be able to use the "interior dimension tool" and get surface to surface result, but okay. 

Just for the heck of it, with the default set to "surface", I tried both "interior dimension" and "manual", here are the results. What am I doing wrong. 

Acknowledge in advance there is something I am totally missing. Thanks. 

settings.png

dimensions.png

Hello CDR_Design,

For exterior walls, the software will dimension to the outside surface (which you can see for the manual dimension). The Interior dimension specifically focuses on interior sides of walls but doesn’t have adjustable wall locate defaults. So the Interior dimension thus locates to the main layer on the interior side of the exterior wall.

However, if the dimension hasn’t located where you want it, you can adjust the locate point of the dimension after you’ve placed it. If you select the dimension line, you’ll see a small diamond shaped edit handle where the dimension is locating to. Simply click and drag that diamond to the interior surface layer.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Roy

Relocating Dimension.png

Thanks so much. Bottom line, to my original question, even if I set my default to "surface", there is no way to get any dimension choice to locate to surface. I need to set the dimension and adjust it. From what I am understanding, this is what you are saying and, after trying all of the dimensions, that is what I am experiencing. 

If I am misunderstanding and there is a default and then dimension choice I can select that will give me "surface to surface" dimension, please let me know. Thanks.