Shed roof windows up near the roof

GaryAtAllonsy

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in filling the high-front portion of my shed roof with a few fixed glass windows.

There has got to be a better way than my stumbling around placing it on the wall and then trying to adjust the location as desired so that it's in the right location.

What am I missing, is there a simple way or actual process to do this?

Thanks much,

Gary

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the lack of details. The image attached I hope helps my description. 

There are windows and a door on the high side wall already.

My 'stumbling around' has been placing a small window next to an existing one on the high side wall, adjusting its size/type and then sliding it along that wall into position above the other windows and doors, and then adjusting its specifications so that its high up on that wall.

So what I'm left with looks odd on the floor plan view because of the multiple multiple windows being put on that wall line.

The process that I use works, however, my thought was that there might have been an easier process for doing this.  One that also helps to understand what you see on the wall line of the floorpan without having to carefully select the window.

If you don't have the full overview perspective view, your stuck with looking at the the odd floorpan with all the extra windows.

Are there 'layers' that could be used for something like this? Layers similar to those used in graphic/photo design tools like Photoshop ...

Thanks again,

Gary

Home Designer Architectural 2024

shed roof windows.jpg

That's probably an Attic wall, and you can place the windows while on the Attic level. I'd do so in plan, then switch to a camera view and use the center tool to position them over the windows below.

Home Designer has layers, but you cannot do much with them except change display attributes.

A couple of useful tricks, though I use HD Professional so you may discover some of these are not enabled in Architectural.

1. Use Edit / Copy and Paste in Place to create an identical copy of an existing window, then Ctrl-E to open the window specification of the duplicate copy. Change the parameters you want (like height, floor to top, window type...) but let it inherit the horizontal position of its "ancestor" to be above it. All while leaving the original copy unchanged.
  2. Create those higher windows in the Attic level (as @solver suggests). You can use Edit / Copy of an existing window on Level 1 and then Edit / Paste / Paste Hold Position on the Attic level to create a duplicate on that attic level, to combine with the previous trick. Use reference floor display to show the structure of the floor below, including window/door placement, while you are working on the "upper" attic/clerestory level.
  3. Rather than in perspective view, create a cross section/elevation view facing the front wall head-on, to work on details of horizontal and vertical spacing.
  4. Work parametrically using the Transform/Replicate Object tool. This lets you move or copy (i.e. duplicate) windows with a numerically specified relative position in x,y, and z coordinates, which can help especially if the window and door spacing down at the bottom is in nice round dimensions.
  5. Make sure object snaps (Shift-S) is on. If you still can't get things to snap properly across levels, create (temporary) CAD lines in cross-section/elevation view that snap to the existing windows, and then snap the new windows to those CAD lines.
  6. In Window specification / Options, you can set vertical stacking level, which controls which stacked windows show up in plan view. However, I'm pretty sure (subject to correction...) that's in Pro only, not Architectural.